21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
If you can find that divider, you can use LED bulbs. Put red LEDs on the outside and a switchback LED that's red/white bulb in the middle. Then you'd wire it up so it's red with brakes and white when you go into reverse.

Found the red/white switchback here: Home of Original Two Color Switchback Turn Signal LED Bulbs

·
Registered
863 Posts
If you are only wanting to add a reverse light, then the least expensive and easiest way would be to add the accessory backup LED light that is available now. I'm sure you can find a very discrete location to mount one that wouldn't be seen unless someone was looking for it.

Looking on NPD's site, I didn't see a complete kit for adding stock backup lights to a '65.

·
Registered
35,538 Posts
My car doesn't seem to have any :(
Not surprising. They were optional in 1965. A friend of mine bought a Mustang in April 1964, and had the dealer install them before delivery.

If you have an auto trans, you already have the switch. The light kit will run about $50. I'm not aware of a repro for the front-to-rear backup harness. Which seems strange. Still, it's only one wire, and using two-wire universal trailer plugs you can easily create a harness to connect to the pigtails on the backup lamps. The ground wire on the lamp goes to an eye that get bolted under the lower-outer taillight stud.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wiring them in isnt a problem for me, and I'm running a T5, which has a switch.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts