Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting my 65 back on the road. Before I let it sit up the headliner was in great shape but father time eat the thread at one of the seams so now its hanging.
Do I have to have the glass removed to get a new one in.
Has anybody changed out the ford headliner for a cardboard after market one?

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
I have installed a headliner only with the glass removed. A friend of mine has taken many Mustangs to a local upholstery shop for headliner installs. They always do it with the glass installed and it always looks great. So, I'm not sure if I could do it, but it's certainly doable.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Been done, pain in the butt to get the headliner tucked and tight as it should be with the glass in. The RIGHT way is with the glass out. I can do one by myself in a day and reinstall the glass leak-free. Doing it the other way is not only a "hack" or short-cut, fiddling with the top of the glass seal that much trying to fold the headliner in will either lead to a windshield leak or an incorrectly cut and eventual sagging headliner.

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
35,434 Posts
The factory attached the headliner to the pinchweld before installing the glass. There is no way to properly install a headliner without removing the glass, because with the glass installed there is nothing to attach it to. Of course, you don't have to remove the front glass in the 69-73 Mustang.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,843 Posts
I looked at the shop manual before I did mine and was surprised to see their instructions were for glass in the car. I've only done 1 but can't imagine getting a tight fit for that method. Perhaps a seasoned pro could pull it off. It would be a bugger trying to pull the rubber down to get glue and the headliner tucked in neatly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts