Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Do you appreciate the smell of an old car?

962 views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  68_wildfire 
#1 ·
I was wondering if I am the only one who can appreciate this. Vinyl interiors from the 60's and 70's give off this aroma that I love. They smell like classic cars, like an antique. To me its part of the whole experience of owning a classic. My first Mustang with original interior had it. I just replaced the interior in my second mustang and the new vinyl smells industrial. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about or am I on crack?

#2 ·
Hmmmm....let me think, mold, mildew..rotting festering things under the seat....no...I vote for the crack... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Now what I miss is the smell of the old leaded gas....gas used to smell great...now it stinks of additives...

But don't go by me...I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.....

G
#3 ·
Whether you're on crack or not isn't up to me but I DO know what you mean & I just HAD to go out & smell mine. No mold, mildew, rust, dust bunnies, smoke smell... it's never seen rain & seldome sees sun!(see below). I known the original owner for 20 years! As for the leaded gas? It was so sweet you could almost drink it... smooth to the touch. I remember 103 octane at $.35 a gallon!

#4 ·
As long as it is not that chevy funk! My 69 chevelle reeked! It also pissed on my knee every time it rained. There was so much moisture in the seat it would freeze solid in the winter. Good times, good times...

#5 ·
I much prefer the smell of an old Mustang to that of any new vehicle. I don't like the smell of a new house either. It's all the glues and stuff that bug me.

Back in the day, when I was pumping gas for a living and they had just introduced unleaded gas (yes, I am that old /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) I found that pumping unleaded tended to make me hungry. It still does...

Mind you, I would never eat or drink unleaded gas. Leaded is also not on my list of things to eat or drink. The fumes just did strange things to me.

I actually detest the smell of unleaded fuels. Leaded was much better... I liked the colors too.

#7 ·
I remember working in a Chevron in the 70's and old duffer asking me to fill it up with ethyl... (aka supreme)...
I've dipped my head into car's at shows and inhaled deeply just to get that unique vintage odor.

#9 ·
hehehehe...yeah, I hear ya there.

Actually, when I got my stang it STANK !! Some new seat foam, carpet, and seat covers helped a lot. I ended up having to do the air freshener thing though.

I smell like gas every time I drive it..That I don't mind too much.

#12 ·
Then it's the same crack I'm on, cuase I get a kick outta that smell too. It starts me thinkin' that the car has...I dunno, presence I guess. But I have been in some vintage cars that just..stunk. Anyway, here's to sniffin' old cars and leaded gasoline (which I've never smelled as far as I know, but the way everyone's talking about it really makes me want to /forums/images/icons/wink.gif).

#14 ·
My vert has original, urestored interior. I think it wreaks, although I do have to admit it does lend to the authenticity of the whole vintage experience. My wife thinks the smell is great, however. Guess that means what I think doesn't matter anyway, huh? Besides, she can't smell anything else on my clothes except vinyl, so you can imagine.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

#15 ·
My mustang makes many smells: gas, oil, burning oil, and various animal smells when I first got it (don't miss that smell!). But they all sure do make the ride interesting /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.