Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 302 Mustang has a steel scatter shield bell housing and the instructions stated that it needs to be aligned to the engine block for best results. This was done and I used special offset dowel pins to give the correct alignment.

On a friends 302 engine, we are fitting a used aluminium bell housing for a TKO600 gearbox. Do aluminium bell housings need to be aligned as well or are they regarded as being more accurately machined compared to a steel one?

Thanks.

Jeremy.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,267 Posts
A factory ford bell housing or an aftermarket one? Factory ford one I would say not necessary, and aftermarket one I'd say it wouldn't hurt to check it.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Factory bellhousings are machined to factory tolerances. Aftermarket can be hit or miss depending upon the company. Regardless, it doesn't hurt to indicate the bore, just because.

·
Premium Member
12,003 Posts
Are you using a dial indicator with a magnetic base attached to the flywheel to "dial it in"? I would do it just to reassure yourself that it is within tolerance. If you don't do it and the car has a vibration you'll always wonder if that's the cause.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts