Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1966 T code coupe
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never paid much attention to it before. Pulled it out and set it aside. Tonight I'm going through stuff I took off the car and realized it doesn't have FORD on the plastic dial window. Is this anything "special" I did look up a lawsuit on the internet about this Automatic Radio Mfg Co against Ford but it's just a bunch of legal jargon to me.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Rim Font

Rectangle Font Gas Metal Concrete

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
Nice! Yes it is an original. Philco, Bendix, and Motorola also made stuff used by Ford.

Reactions: AZ_Ryan and jrock

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
Well, I said it was an original, it is probably actually a replacement... see this earlier thread...

Your car may or may not be worth $50,000. That's between you and a buyer.
Mine is priceless and not for sale!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sorry, but nothing special about that radio. It was an aftermarket replacement from the early days, just made to fit the factory dash openings. Given the condition, I'd recommend looking for a nicer original Ford radio. You can get them in working condition on ebay almost every day for cheap. Many have perfect chrome and clear dials. The ones referenced in the other thread that are valuable are the AM/FM versions. FM was still in relative infancy in the mid-60s, so that was not a commonly-opted for feature, especially in a less expensive car like the Mustang. That has made the rarity of them a bigger deal in today's world. Even the correct-looking reproductions made by Classic Autosounds from several years ago are fetching decent money on ebay (even though they are cheaply made internally, and many no longer work).

FYI, one of the best modifications I've done to any of my cars has been to send my original radios to Gary Tayman in Florida for a conversion of the unit to have all modern radio features we are used to. The beauty is that the original appearance and function is not changed, all the well-made components like the volume and tone potentiometers are retained, but you can add high-wattage stereo, FM band, bluetooth, hands free-operation, EQ, HD radio, and RCA/line outs for amps. They frankly sound amazing and the tuners are surprisingly powerful. I can tune in more stations than I knew existed on FM with these units. Money very well spent!

·
Registered
1966 T code coupe
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, but nothing special about that radio. It was an aftermarket replacement from the early days, just made to fit the factory dash openings. Given the condition, I'd recommend looking for a nicer original Ford radio. You can get them in working condition on ebay almost every day for cheap. Many have perfect chrome and clear dials. The ones referenced in the other thread that are valuable are the AM/FM versions. FM was still in relative infancy in the mid-60s, so that was not a commonly-opted for feature, especially in a less expensive car like the Mustang. That has made the rarity of them a bigger deal in today's world. Even the correct-looking reproductions made by Classic Autosounds from several years ago are fetching decent money on ebay (even though they are cheaply made internally, and many no longer work).

FYI, one of the best modifications I've done to any of my cars has been to send my original radios to Gary Tayman in Florida for a conversion of the unit to have all modern radio features we are used to. The beauty is that the original appearance and function is not changed, all the well-made components like the volume and tone potentiometers are retained, but you can add high-wattage stereo, FM band, bluetooth, hands free-operation, EQ, HD radio, and RCA/line outs for amps. They frankly sound amazing and the tuners are surprisingly powerful. I can tune in more stations than I knew existed on FM with these units. Money very well spent!
Thanks for all of that info. I've learned a few things. I'll be on the lookout for a Ford one and I'll be sending it out for the upgrades.

·
Registered
36,978 Posts
From Dave Hammar's site:

Some confusion exists regarding 1965-66 Mustang radios featuring with the word "Deluxe" on the chrome bezel. In reality, these were not Ford radios at all, and had no connection with the "Deluxe" (Pony) Interior Decor Group. These "Deluxe" radios were merely aftermarket AM units produced by Boston-based Automatic Radio Manufacturing Company. Interestingly, Automatic Radio later filed a lawsuit over Ford's 1967 switch to the use of Ford-made (and marketed) radio mounting bezels.

These radios were likely offered due to the large number of Mustangs originally sold with no radio at all. My 66 Mustang was one such car, despite being an A code fastback with 4-speed transmission.

In the 60's and 70's a common notation in "for sale" ads (paid for by the number of words) was "R&H". This meant the car had a radio and a heater. Not all cars did in those days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts