Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the extremely hot weather of Easter Washington hit an astonishing 29 degree high with snow on the horizon I'm seriously doubting I'll take the car out before there is snow on the driveway.

While I'm working on the car this winter I really want to finish the interior, but the only thing holding me back is the headliner. Is this something that a complete newb or auto interior can accomplish? I'd love to not have to pay to have it done, but and a little reluctant to doing something like this and risking messing something up.

Whats you take? I'd really like to hear from you more experienced guys and gals if this is something for a kid to try.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I probably would not have done it when I was 17 without my Dad helping me or some really good instructions.

Today is different. You have all kinds of help from folks on this board and there should be a write-up someplace on how to do it step-by-step.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yes You can do it.

It really is not an age thing.

To do it you have to take out the windshield front and back.

Each support bar is in an order that must be documented (digital pic)

There are different sets of holes next to one another...so remember which one goes to which hole.

The support bars are each different than the other.

Time to change the front and rear window seals too. Pretty cheap parts.

A Positive approach to any task is the driving force to success. It is this approach that is learned through time that instills confidence.

Time and age go together...just start now...you can do anything! :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I tried it myself and gave up after a few days. For the $120 the guy charged me to install it, I wouldn't waste my time. On the other hand, if you like challanges give it a try. The worst thing that can happen is that you buy another $50 kit.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I found it pretty easy to do and when I did mine I didn't have to remove any glass. Then again I was 17. Oh man, now I feel old.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You can do it. It is not that tough. Just take your time and have an extra set of hands available. You'll need them when you get to the back glass area. You will need to remove the glass to do it right though I have heard it can be done with the glass in place. I think the hardest part was putting the glass back in and getting it sealed.
Take the opportunity to lay down some good sound deadening when the headliner is out. You'll be glad you did.
Good luck,

G

·
IIRC they are different length's. I have mine removed from my 66 in order with numbers, I can try and describe the order to you. Send me a pt if interested

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You can do it yourself. As mentioned the right way to do it is with the windows out. I left my windows in and it looks fine. It took me 2 days. On the first day i got it part way in and then i got fustrated because it was giving me problems. So i left it alone and came back the next day when i was calm again and finished it. If the window seals have never been replaced you may want to go ahead and do it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts