Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying an aluminum radiator and need to know if I should buy an auto or a manual one. My car is a manual, but in case I sell it later it will probably sell faster if it has auto trans lines.
My question to you is, do the auto lines take up cooling space and will the radiator cool better without them? If there is hardly any difference, I will purchase the auto one.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I wouldn't think having auto trans lines would have any impact on the ability to sell, but that's just my opinion. To answer your question, since the heat exchanger for the auto cooler is located in the shell of the radiator, it really doesn't block the cooling fins or reduce the flow any appreciable amount, so I'd say there is hardly any difference. Good luck.

Lou

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
IMO all it would really do is reduce the coolant capacity of the system. Not much difference in cooling AFAIK. You do know that buying an aluminum radiator with a heat exchanger is quite a bit more expensive than one without? I know with the crossflow that i purchased, it was almost double the price with the trans cooler. It went from $170 w/o cooler to a little over $300 with the cooler

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The auto version is only $30 more. I figure if I get an auto one and when it comes time to change it, it should have the market for both auto and man. cars and not limited to manual car buyers.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
but in case I sell it later it will probably sell faster if it has auto trans lines.
What is your rationale behind this opinion? Manual trans cars (speaking of classic Mustangs) sell at a significant premium above automatics. In fact, does anyone actually "shop" specifically for an automatic? Don't we just buy the automatic car because it was in better overall condition than the manual car we really wanted (or because we couldn't find a manual car)? Furthermore, for every one person you'll find who is swapping their manual for an automatic, I bet you'll find 10 guys/gals shopping for clutch pedals and bellhousings, etc. so that they can pull the gears themselves.

In answer to your question, I doubt you'd see any difference between the rads on a street car unless, in fact, there was hot tranny fluid running through it. Save your money. If I bought your car with the intention of putting an automatic in it I'd simply add an external cooler.

- Gord

K

·
0 Posts
You make your buying decisions on whether the parts will have a resale or not? Odd. :naive:

Buy what you need.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
My car is a manual, but in case I sell it later it will probably sell faster if it has auto trans lines.
If you are agonizing over something like this, it's going to be hard to enjoy your Mustang hobby. IMHO, when looking for a radiator, get the one YOU need, and if you're going to worry about anything, worry about the construction of the radiator itself. If you have a manual, get a radiator for a manual. If a subsequent owner wants to convert to an automatic, they need to be clever enough to figure out how to do it. Have Fun!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
In fact, does anyone actually "shop" specifically for an automatic?
yes, all of my cars are autos even the 347 stroker with NOS.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't realize I would get hammered so hard on this one. I buy and sell so many parts and go through so many cars. I guess I just want to be able to rid of it sooner if I need to upgrade or change things around. There are alot of auto cars out there that would like this rad. True though, I should save the $30 and get the proper one without the plugged lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts