Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i practically give up... i just cannot anyone to sell their car. i mean why dont you just sell it because all its going to do is sit in your field and rot!!! okay so heres the lowdown im driving back to West Virginia university last week and i spot three mach 1's just sitting in a field so i decided againgst my usual luck to ask about them. well my luck was the same ... nope!!!! he wouldnt sell them at all.. not one lol . are these people enjoying just letting these cars be devoured by the elements??? i mean i know some people just say that they are going to fix them up someday......well why not now!!!!!! or at least sell them to someone who is going to make something beautiful. its a joke.. i think the put their cars there to see how many people try to buy them... and i do understand that some people have good memories in vehicles and its hard to let them go but come on wouldnt you at least let someone else enjoy something that just cant be replicated by newer vehicles..... just my two cents okay im done ranting.... anybody got any ideas or advice to ease my heart break.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
There is a 69 Mach 1 in my area that has just been sitting behind a small auto supply store for several years (probably more, I noticed it about 2 years ago)and it hasn't moved at all. The store is owned by a father and son. I go in the store to buy an oil filter wrench. I ask the son if the Mach 1 is for sale. "Nope." I felt like saying "Oh...you're just going to let it sit there...let it rot away?" There is no cover of any kind on the Mach. He also has a few old trucks and an Edsel covered with weeds in the back of the property. Some people really [censored] me off... ::

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
Join the club. I know someone who has a 67 GT 500 in his barn, yeah, he's gonna fix it up some day. (it's been 20 years now). And a Boss 302 sitting outside in a backyard, Nope, don't wanna sell it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I hate to hear stories like that, It reminds me of a `65 shelby that was lost to the elements.Even after a car and money trade he wouldn`t budge.

John

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I recall a 67 'vert near here last winter with the top down all covered with 2 feet of snow. The guy put a big sign on it that simply said 'NO'.

jim

G

·
0 Posts
I can't figure this one out! I have a mustang that I'm afraid will rot if someone doesn't buy it but I can't find an interested party and here you are crying about seeing them sitting and rotting . . . strange. ::

·
Registered
127 Posts
well we mustang people just need to not give up!! I can think of about 12 that I've stopped and asked about. One was about 20 years ago. its still sitting in the same place it was 20 years ago and has never been touched. But there will be that one you don't stop and you'll wonder the next time you drive by and its not there. there is a 67 fastback and asked one day and the awnser was NO. I drive by everyonce in a while and I don't think they have ever rolled up the windows If it has windows!! Don't give up there may be that day when the owner says yes you want it ?

never give up

Rick

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Funny you should post this..I was just about to post the same thing. Last week on the way home from a car show in Columbus (Ohio) I stopped at a place where I have seen a 67 vert sitting in the front yard for years..also seen others on the property, but weeds so high I couldnt tell what year.As it turns out, the vert was a parts car for a 68 "S" code vert in his garage..he also has an "A" code 65 fastback gt...69 big block Mach, and a 69 big block coupe parts car, and a 68 "J" code fastback(along with at least 4 67-68 coupe parts cars in the weeds)...all just rotting away..he bought these cars 15+ years ago "to fix up", but hasnt found the time yet...He appeared to be in his 50's...he better hurry if he wants to get them done :p :eek:
And then today, just 5 miles from me I spot this: http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/362000-362999/362544_14.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/362000-362999/362544_15.jpg

I stop and ask...Nope, not for sale..he has had it for 6 years, and put it on the car hauler so people would stop asking him about it...someday hes gonna fix it ::
But Im still gonna stop and ask everyone I see sitting...someday the guy will say yes ;) :p ::

Joe

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I am amazed at how many cars are still sitting out there waiting to be saved.

I just bought three early broncos today. They have been right under my noze for years and I never noticed them. Luck was on my side on this one. My first offer was a go. :: So I hope to have a EB restored over the winter. I just need to finish a couple of other paint jobs first to fund the EB project.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
If someone has a car just sitting there rotting away they could at least put a sign on it NOT FOR SALE. i mean when you do see a mustang thats just been sitting there rotting away there is always the possibillty it may be for sale. It would save being bothered. Jim

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Here's something that might work for you next time....don;t ask to buy it...offer to help the owner restore the car! I've bought several cars that way....

The deal is...you're not expressing direct interest (and thus adding value to the car in the owners mind) and your starting a little mind game in his head about restoration (and more importantly the associated costs in both time and money). Your offer of free labor will force this mind game to start and sometimes they'll come to realize what you already know....they'll never restore the car...

Leave him your name and number and tell him to call when he's ready for "some help"...

Then wait....call back in a few weeks and offer to help again...

Then wait....call back in a few months and offer to help again...

Then wait....call back in a year and offer to help again...

and maybe, if your lucky (I've been so you can be too!) you'll get a call from the owner saying somthing like...

"Hey, I've been thinking about this car restoration offer/deal....might you be interested in BUYING it instead?"

(now don't screw up now and say "YES" too fast....tell him you'll "think about it", hang up...call back in an hour and buy your car!)

Try it! ::

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Keep tring. My Mach 1 had been sitting in the previous owners back yard for seven years. The kids had shot out the side windows and had been climbing all over it for years. After i bought the car and told people where i had got it many of them said that they had asked the guy to sell it and he wouldn't. I guess my timming was right. $500.00

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree also, keep trying. My car sat for 17 years and the owner said he had around 250 people stop over the years and try to buy it. I just happened to catch him at the right time and he decided to sell.
And if anyone is in the Boise area, take a look on Gowen road. There is a straight 68 GT FB, red with white interior, just sinking in the ground. Owner will not sell, last registration is 1978. I nearly cry every time I go by there.
Never give up, but don't get shot trying too hard.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a friend that has a 40x40 garage that has nothing but junk in it. He has a 65 K code fastback sitting outside in the weather rusting away. I have tried my best to get him to put it in the garage. I've also tried to buy it but he also says he is going to restore it. Why can't these people realize how bad these cars rust when they are left in the weather a few inches off the ground due to flat tires. ::

·
Registered
698 Posts
Let me add to the list. I have been trying to buy a '68 GT500KR sitting behind a house here in Fort Worth. I talked to the owner about 7 years ago and he was going to restore it soon. I wrote him a letter a few years later and told him I would buy it if he ever wanted to sell it. He never responded. It is now sitting with a tarp on it after about 10 years of sitting with the driver window down and the hood up. Engine and drivetrain are still in it. Probably one of the rarest mustangs ever made, and it is slowly rotting into oblivion.

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
Just thought of this....mail the fellow one of those "Cars in old Barns" calendars. Explain to him how his car is gonna be in the calendar pretty soon. Maybe that will work.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
just keep trying. i must have asked three dozen people before i got lucky. there is a elderly lady by me with a boss 302 i have been working on for years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts