Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@patrickstapler and @silverblueBP and I share text cooking up a little something something from time to time. We pass along information and tips especially grilling.

Now this isn't a grill recipe, it's a Shepherd's Pie. Let's see some of the lockdown/quarantine food that's being cooked...

Not bad...

Allen

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
My wife loves to cook so she does 99% of it, and the confinement has just meant better meals for me.

Reactions: Israel

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
My wife does all the cooking. The few times I've tried to cook, even just for myself messes with her ocd and she usually pushes me out of the way and does it. I remember once when we were dating i made pizza, rolled out the dough and everything. I look over and she has this look on her face, I ask her whats wrong she says "its not round." When I rolled the dough it was more oval. She had to choke it down. When we go camping, I'm not about spending all day over a grill cooking meals so we precooked all the food and just heat it up.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Been cooking a lot this past month. My two teenagers left at home are with me for the CV "event" so they are bottomless pits. No restaurants, lots of time resurrected my crock pot, the kids pleaded; "dad, please - no more beans". Doing stirfrys, got a Wok/pan for $30 works great! Noticed that if you look up any reciepe, the ones with thousands of likes should have surgeon general's warnings on them. BUtter, Cream...

Been fun getting into cooking a meal with the kids, THATS how boooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrreeeedd we are...

Thank goodness I can work from home, I'd be bonkers otherwise. Hope your all hanging in there.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
My wife still works, Im retired. I have 99.99% of the responsibility to provide a minimum of 2 meals a day in the house. Cooking, going out, bringing in. As long as she can sit and eat twice a day, Im golden.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Dinner is waiting for me every night after my Decontamination shower. That’s how bored she is!

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
I love to cook, grilling and smoking being my first choice. I cook a lot of meals outside. Lately I’ve been doing a lot more cooking than usual. Tonight will be a reverse seared tri tip, pan roasted Brussel sprouts and steamed cauliflower all cooked outside.
roast the cauliflower with the sprouts next time
Been cooking a lot this past month. My two teenagers left at home are with me for the CV "event" so they are bottomless pits. No restaurants, lots of time resurrected my crock pot, the kids pleaded; "dad, please - no more beans". Doing stirfrys, got a Wok/pan for $30 works great! Noticed that if you look up any reciepe, the ones with thousands of likes should have surgeon general's warnings on them. BUtter, Cream...

Been fun getting into cooking a meal with the kids, THATS how boooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrreeeedd we are...

Thank goodness I can work from home, I'd be bonkers otherwise. Hope your all hanging in there.
My son would never say "please no more Beans" But I might . Crockpots are a life saver for the single guy. and stirfrys are a great way to use up left overs

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
GF is a great cook, my favorite is chicken pot pie.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My wife does all the cooking and she is good at it. I have less than zero interest in it. However, two weeks ago she broke her ankle and is pretty much immobile. So I have been trying recipes. They are all Stoufers this, take out that.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
My wife and I both work, and we're both on an 8-6 schedule, so we already get home late, you throw in a sick animal at 5:30 for her or a project due at the end of the day for me and we often get home later than that. So I usually make my own dinner at least 2x per week and help her or make us dinner at least 1 or 2x. Throw in a night or two of leftovers or take out, and at least one date night and that's the week.

One thing I can make awesome are "bacon egg and cheese burgers." The wife also makes a fantastic homemade mac n cheese, sometimes when there's leftover I'll put together a mac n cheese burger too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
roast the cauliflower with the sprouts next time

My son would never say "please no more Beans" But I might . Crockpots are a life saver for the single guy. and stirfrys are a great way to use up left overs
I’m the only one in the house that eats the Brussel sprouts, so I do them my way, with lots of butter and garlic. The cauliflower is for the rest of the family, they like it steamed (aka flavorless).

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,354 Posts
When I was a kid it seemed like no one else knew what Shepherd's pie was . We had it a few times a year growing up. Seems to be making a bit of a comeback I've noticed. Like chili it's a broadly interpreted recipe. I found some on the menu of a restaurant last year and she said she like it better than what she ordered. She tried and made an acceptable version this last winter.
I don't cook much but when I do everybody gets the heck out of the way. Smoked turkeys for the holidays, no one is allowed to touch any part of them in any way until they are sliced and on their plate.
Once or twice a year I do pulled pork. Can't nail down the sauce though. Wonderful smoked Memphis style ribs I call "sex on a stick" but still the ideal sauce for pork still eludes me.
I make two apple pies from scratch each Thanksgiving. Brother in law has said the only reason he comes to that gathering is for a slice. I started baking them because I couldn't find pie that didn't suck. I make them for me. The extra is because others seem to want some too.
I make chili. A big pot and the grown kids come over and eat or take some home. Wife tried to make my recipe a few times but gave up after calling my daughter to come get some once and she asked "Well, did Dad make it, or you?"
"Big greasy cheesy burgers". Got those down pat. Problem is that I want big giant patties but have come to love toasted English Muffins as buns and they only come in slider size. So compromises must be made.
A few simpler things, BBQ pork chops, wet burritos, but the others are the headliners. Wife does a good job of the daily stuff. Come Christmas the kitchen is hers as she throws down on all kinds of candy and fattening stuff that makes her co-workers both love and curse her.
Next target is "street tacos'. I've found some I like but have to take them home and improve upon them a bit. So I'm gearing up to just make the whole things at home as soon as I nail the base recipe.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I love to cook, grilling and smoking being my first choice. I cook a lot of meals outside. Lately I’ve been doing a lot more cooking than usual. Tonight will be a reverse seared tri tip, pan roasted Brussel sprouts and steamed cauliflower all cooked outside.
Tri-tip. Yummy, yummy. I need to grab one of those for this weekend. I can cook anything I want, but just because of work schedule and laziness, I usually only cook something on the weekends. I always make something for Sun brunch like Belgian waffles, or a skillet scramble, and now that grilling season is back, a steak on the grill for dinner. Fri I usually hit the BBQ joint down the street, and sometimes that takes care of Sat dinner. I prefer making desserts, but have to cut back on those cuz I don't want to buy new clothes. Cooking for one most of the time just isn't worth it tho.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I did forget, I make an absolute fantastic Chili. I brought it to a super bowl party a few years ago thinking I would bring half of it home... the entire pot was gone by half time.

It makes a pretty large pot, so tons of leftovers, so I usually only make it 2x per year. There's actually one container left in the freezer from Feb.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I prefer making desserts, but have to cut back on those cuz I don't want to buy new clothes.
I've never done desserts, however, that may just be my next challenge. I watch some of the cooking shows, usually Sunday mornings for some odd reason, and have been seeing some good looking desserts on them.

Allen

·
Registered
10,002 Posts
I like to cook, but wish I had more time to do so. I've been working full time here in Pandemicland, for which I'm very grateful.

In my experience, almost any Alton Brown recipe is great. Oh, good golly, his Mac and Cheese is mind-blowing good and it's so easy to make. I recently made Mrs. Klutch french toast using his recipe and, as always, Mrs. Klutch was quite pleased. I like to make Chicken in a Pot using the America's Test Kitchen method. Very tasty! Their recipes are also very good, but you're not going to find anything really spicy considering they're all New Englanders. Although, their BBQ methods are surprisingly good and interesting. They use charcoal in a Weber Grill and for smoke they buy a hickory fence post at the local home improvement store and simply place a cut off chunk on top of the coals.

I've tried a few Rachael Ray recipes. Phooey! She is all about speed. The results are so awful I might as well just make Kraft Dinner.

I like the Pioneer Woman post roast method.

For cooking steaks in the snowy, Colorado winter, I put my iron skillet in a cold oven then turn it on to "Broil". After 20 minutes, it's rocket-hot! Then I put the skillet over a high flame on the stove top, throw in a lot of butter and turn the steaks every 2-minutes until they're done to liking. Typically 2-minutes on each side is just enough for a nice, medium rare. Great, grilled crust on the outside. Pink and juicy inside. Mrs. Klutch likes medium-well (whatever) so her steak gets a few extra minutes.

I simply don't understand people who refuse to cook. It's like they think it's below them. To me, always eating at restaurants or doing fast food would be miserable.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,354 Posts
My problem with cooking is I am too easily distracted. I have finally learned that when I cook I have to devote my full attention to it or just not do it. I stay busy enough that I have to schedule in when I plan to cook anything more complex than something tossed on the grill which means I can't fiddle with any cars during that time. The cars win out a lot.

There's a movie on DVD and was on Netflix, called "Chef". It's pretty good. Not for sensitive ears though. If you cook at all, watch it. Stick around at the end for a post credit treat. In it is a quote I try to live by when cooking and it helps me greatly.

"- Nothing else exists except this.
- Right.
This is the only thing that exists in this world right now. And if you f*&k this up, everything sucks in the world."

Reactions: Nos681
1 - 20 of 239 Posts