Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what it is about these windows, but I have the hardest time getting these things to line up and seal off good when they're rolled all the way up. I've been pretty reluctant on getting in there and messing with the mechanism to try and adjust it mostly because it's pretty tough to get to. I've taken her in to a trim and body shop, but even they couldn't get it. Anyone have any good tips or solutions for this problem?

--Lightnin

·
Registered
453 Posts
Let everyone know what model year you have and which body style. I am sure you will get some help.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bleh, forgot to mention that...I have a '69 Mach 1.

--Lightnin

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Others may have more helpful suggestions, but my experience has been that 30+ years has taken its toll on the mechanicals of our windows. I recommend replacing all of the old rollers, repairing or replacing any worn or damaged tracks or guides, and replacing any worn window regulators.

I've done this to my two front windows in my '66 vert and all of them in my old '66 coupe with good results. (I still need to do the back windows in the vert.)

Good luck

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
What area is not lining up? Is the window coming up straight or is it on a bit of an angle? Can you move the window by hand, meaning can you grab the glass and lift it any? If you can lift it, the window mechanism is worn out.If you cannot move it then we will look elsewhere for your problem. As for the angles, at the bottom of the door are a couple of bolts that adjust the in/out tilt of the window.On the side of the door where it catches the door latch are two more bolts that adjust the forward /backward tilt. On the 69, I know you have to be careful not to have the window come up to far or you will take out a few chips along the top, done that one as well. .As the other poster mentioned , there are also rollers that can be replaced in the scissor channels but check out the other areas first before removeing those.
Good luck
Don

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The window doesn't line up front to back: meaning, the back vertical edge of the window doesn't line up with the smaller side window behind it. There is always a gap (almost an inch) when I shut the door. It seems as though the front end of the window doesn't come up far enough and the back side comes up too far, so there is an effective tilt to it that is giving me the gap (at least it seems that way). I wish I had a digital camera to take some pictures to show y'all. It is tough to describe in words. I'm going to try to adjust the forward/back tilt with the bolts near the door latch as you mentioned. Thanks for the input.

--Lightnin

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
My experience has been over the last couple weeks on my 67 sot it may oor may not be the same for you. First off the foors should be alighed to the body of the car. If the doors are sagging then the window will sag.

Now the windows. The door windows can be adjusted to pitch in twards the molding or away but adjusters under the door panel. They can also be adjusted for how far they go up by a window stop that is at the very back of the window that you can only see by opening the door (and a rubber piece i think). Once the front windows go all the way up and have a nice seal then you can adjust the back. There are stops that control how far it goes up and you can also loosen all the bolts and move the whole window forward or back a bit to get a better seal and up and down a bit.

Large quantities of grease laid in the roller tracks of the window let them go up and down a whole lot better. Do not put the grease in the felt track the window rides up in, it will make your window messy.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Do you still have the original glue in windows? If so they may have slid forward. Should that prove to be the problem you may want to look at 70 bolt in glass.
Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts