Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off....Im not complaining,just curious what it is and if it happens to everyone.I get this "#8217;" in some posts and it is replacing some text in the post.Any ideas what causes it and what it is replacing?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It hasn't ever #8217 happened to me . . . Maybe it's #8217 how your browser is #8217 set up.

Here's how #8217 to fix it. First, click on #8217 after you #8217 and then #8217. This is very import#8217. You have too#8217 and then#8217 and then it will work#8217.

HT#8217H,

Rick

(just kidding . . . sorry, can't help#8217) ::

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
#8217 is a right single quotation mark in HTML special characters. What kind of browser are you using and what version? It might be something with an older browser version.

I'm pretty sure this is what your problem is. Do you see it in this line? Someone else had a problem with quotation marks earlier, I'll do a search.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im using explorer.Not sure what version.Here is part of a post a few posts down to give an idea of whats going on.It isnt in your reply either.It doesnt happen on every post,just a few.
Again, I&#8217;m just trying to explore options here. Keep in mind the car sports a clutch pedal already, and I assume with the help of a Mustang Steve Upgrade it will be T-5 friendly. Then again I don&#8217;t suppose the trans behind my current I6 is good for much of anything now is it? If I recall the orig 3 speed was tossed. I do believe a 3 speed from of all thing a tow tug <aircraft puller> put in it&#8217;s place.
Well this is long enough. I&#8217;m glad I found this forum. Seem&#8217;s

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I have been seeing them a lot tonight. Mostly in contractions like I'm, you've, we're, etc. My guess would be that it's a function of Bob's software re-writing things that are typed.

I wonder if perhaps Bob did an upgrade while we were not looking?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
It does have to do with the qutation mark or apostrophe. The special character is not being interperted correctly by your browser. I suspect that the &#8217 may have been introduced in the HTML 4 specification of which not all older browsers comply. I'd update your browser version and see if that takes care of the problem...

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I'd like to agree with you here, at least in concept. However, I am running fully up-to-date IE on XP. It does not get any more current.

I suspect it's the browser that is being used to write the stuff, rather than the one's being used to read it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I too suspect it's the browser of the writer and it was the apostrophe for sure in the post down the list a ways.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
That sounds more logical, because I am getting the same thing on the TommyTorino post but not on the rest. I wondered what was going on, but I knew that if I waited, someone else would ask. :)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Yes Kent, you are correct. It is the posters browser that is not HTML 4 compliant. It is not interperting the right apostrophe correctly somehow and the actual codes are getting put into the text of the message. It would be interesting to see what browser TommyTorino has.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
&#8220;It&#8221; happens to me ALL the time because I usually use MS Word to draft any replys longer than just a few words. Then I copy/paste them into the VMF reply box. Then whenever I review my post, the &#8220; shows up, so I edit it out. But if I type directly in the reply box, everything is fine.

Ken

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
If you use IE Explorer then you should search on the net for the program called IESPELL and download it. It will put a spell checker in your toolbar.

James

1 - 14 of 14 Posts