Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess if no one knows anything about convertible tops I'll have to take it to a professional.
I have a top frame that I am hoping that I can use but seems questionable. Tthe pot metal is kinda rough but a wire brush cleaned it up ok. Is it really important to have it perfect, it is getting covered anyways. All of the screws have been broken off so I would have to drill and tap them out. What should I do? Any input would be appreciated...

Michael Wigton
1964.5 Mustang Convertible

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Michael

With the cost of Mustang parts these days and the difficulty in finding them, you may find that working with what you have is better financially. I have a 69 and 70 convertible and when I did the frame prior to covering on the 70 it was a bit on the rough side. My recommendation to you is to first check out the structural integrity, meaning, mount the frame on your car and check out the frame strips that way and look for any cracks, weakness, etc. If everything is structurally sound but needs cosmetic refreshening, go that route. Drilling and retapping is not that bad, especially when you consider what you would have to pay for another frame that probably has a "different" set of problems to contend with (ie bent or missing strips, etc). Do you have the ability to post pics here of the frame in its current state???

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Robbins Top company. they are well known out West as a quality shop. Maybe they can assist/direct you to a shop close to you. check their website at: http://www.robbinsautotopco.com.

Good luck...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I agree with the post referring you to Robbins Auto Top Co in Santa Monica. It's a family run business that puts out some of the best replacement tops around. I've known them since the early 70's but first became a customer 2 years ago when I used them for the top on my 87 VW Cabriolet and they even recommended a local shop that does outstanding work for the actual installation. I was so pleased with the quality that when my 91 Porsche 911 needed a seat repair I took it to the recommended shop and the repair was flawless. It's my understanding that they have relationships with trim shops throughout the country so there's a good chance they can recommend one in your area.

67 Vintage Burgandy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the imput. I can take pics but I broke the cable that connects my camera to the computer. The top frame works great. The pump pushes it up and down no problem. I have a top for it I think I will just have a professional install it for me or how hard is it to install a convertible top?.

Michael Wigton
1964.5 Mustang Convertible

1 - 5 of 5 Posts