Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planned on picking up a parts car I found a few weeks back today, should have been no problem, had made arrangements in advance with yard owner to have car ready to pick up today. Well things started bad and just got worse, my friend with the trailer I was going to use let someone else borrow it. So I drove the 30 miles anyway to pay for the car and let the guy know I was still coming, arrived to find car still sitting in field were it had been, owner assured me he would have it pulled out and ready to go by noon. My friend finally got his trailer back by 5 pm, on the way to my place a tire started to separate, the vibration then took out the wheel bearing, he managed to chain it up and limp into my place. Nice mess, spent two and 1/2 hours removing old bearing races, polishing spindles and getting something that seemed (cross our fingers) would work to get the car picked up and home tonight. Arrived with fading daylight to pickup car, but was it sitting in driveway, no, it was still back in the field. Yard owner gave me the old line his tractor was broken down ( this seems to be a convienant escuse they use). I looked to around to see about 4 or 5 4X4 pickups with big tires that sure looked like they could pull a Mustang out of some weeds. He gave me the excuse he had to go pick up his kids and couldn't do anything until tomorrow morning...Well to top it all off, guess what nearly fell off on the way home (at least the trailer was empty)- the wheel again. Now tomorrow will start off fixing my friends trailer again, and hopefully picking up the car. And people wonder why Mustang parts can be expensive.Beer time. (side note: I definately have to time find time to replace the bent axle and finish welding up my broken trailer-nothing like fixing up someone else just to borrow it)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, at least you didn't get the car loaded up, and then have that wheel come off on you in transport... yikes!

I know what you're saying... I had a little frustration myself this weekend. I think I muttered some things along the lines of your topic here, among other (many) profanities.

My favorite thing is when someone asks "how long is it going to take you to do that" when I start a seemingly simple job on the stang... It's always more difficult or time consuming than I think it's going to be, so I'll triple or quadruple how long I think the job takes, and that's usually pretty accurate /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Things happen for a reason. Believe this! My son wanted a Mustang like mine. So a friend of mine knew where a 66 Coupe was for sale for a good price. It had air & power steering, newly rebuilt engine etc... Friend said he believed I could get it for $3500, although the owner was asking $4k. So we went there will $3500. Owner wouldn't budge off the $4k, so we came home disapointed... Ended up finding a 68 less than 5 miles from home for $3500.! And in MUCH better shape than the other one 20 miles away.
Things happen for a reason!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts