Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title basically states it.

Picture enticement for input:

But to expand, I purchased a one family owned 68 fastback C-code with c4 that I know for a fact hasn't had internals touched. Yes, the heads are still not upgraded for unleaded:eek: Rims, paint, dual exhaust, and missing AM/FM radio are only changes from day it left the dealer. Paint should have been Presidential Blue.

Immediate intended use is to split summer daily driver duties in the Sierra foothills... no freeway. I am thinking in about 10 years going full restore/concours restore on it.

As might be expected, drivetrain is grimy mess due to leaks. It is sitting at about 160k miles and I was considering rebuilding the engine/transmission to get them cleaned up and sealed.

For the engine, I was thinking of upgrading the cam(internal) and going with aftermarket intake, carb, and headers(external). I know intake, carb, and headers would have to get removed before full restore/concours.

For the transmission, I was looking at upgrading the input shaft from 24 to 28... I think that was the main upgrade.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,665 Posts
Since its not a rare fastback of some high pedigree, no, imo, it won't hurt the value at all. Won't help it either. It seems that in today's market when someone is looking for a factory correct car, they're looking for k codes, shelbys etc... mod away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll probably kick a hornet's nest here, but I wouldn't worry about the valve seats unless you're planning on a lot of high engine load driving. My regular gas Mustangs get premium now, but will run on 89 if I back off the timing.

One of the advantages of being a car guy around Detroit is you get to know people who worked on these programs back in the day. One of those guys was the director at Ford's emission labs in the late 60'/early 70's. One of his helpful hints was that if a pre-unleaded engine had ever had leaded gas run through it (like only a few tankfuls) they saw no valve seat durability issues caused by unleaded gas. For engines that would "never" see leaded gas, they had to upgrade the valve seats.

And in my personal experience, I've not upgraded valve seats on any of my 4 Mustangs, and never had any valve trouble with them. I run premium gas, and use them for cruising.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts