Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
450 Posts
Yes. If it’s missing, get it replaced.
Chris

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Yes, it's the cross member and definitely needed. If you want to get an upgraded one, contact VMF member @zray. He makes them himself and they are a quality piece.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's the cross member and definitely needed. If you want to get an upgraded one, contact VMF member @zray. He makes them himself and they are a quality piece.
Will do. Is it just two bolts that mount it? (In general, not zrays)

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
Will do. Is it just two bolts that mount it? (In general, not zrays)
Yes, 2 bolts but they are a special shouldered design and must be torqued properly. Most vendors sell the crossmembers and bolts separately. Critical to have this, wouldn't want to drive the car without it!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
You have to buy THE correct bolts. They are kind of unique.

·
Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Back in the days of yore when somebody had to drop the oil pan to replace the gasket or oil pump they quite often deemed that crossmember to be unnecessary and left it off.
Check to be sure the "captured nuts" that the special bolts screw into are still inside the frame rail and the threads are still good. It's a 1/2"-13 thread. There was a recent thread here where somebody broke one of the bolts off inside the nut and the poster had to cut the frame rail open to replace the captured nut.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The Ford term is "Crossmember assembly - frame number 2" and the part number is C5ZZ-5026-A

The bolt is 1/2"-13 x 1-1/8", part number 379068-S. Alternate part number BB817Q.

NPD has two that look the same to me - 5026-1A and -2A. Not sure why:

Bolts:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Well that good to know. I was thinking that if I needed clearance I could add a 1/2" spacer and drop it down.

I guess not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts