Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMG_6529.JPG IMG_6530.JPG Car is a 1966 Mustang Sprint 200. I am basically 2nd owner. The car has been wrecked at some time in it's life so it is not 100% original sheet metal. Does having the Ford factory window sticker and the original dealer invoice give me any advantage if I decide to sell? I've had it a little over a year but don't have as much time to mess with it as I had thought. I've got $12K in it. That does include front power disc and new paint though, new bumpers, dash, carpet and other stuff. 116K miles.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Looks good in sale ad text, though. Nice attention-getter. More of a "hmm!" novelty.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Authentic paperwork certainly helps when it comes to selling or asking for a particular price. However, it can also highlight how much the car has changed from being "original" so I don't think it would come into play much regarding a significant increase in value for a T code hard top.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't think it have any direct influence on a cars value, but for some buyers it will make the car more interesting. Others don't care about history or originality at all, they just look for something they can modify and hotrod into their own.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yes it's a good thing and all of the following can help value.
  • Original window sticker.
  • Original owners manual, especially if signed by the dealer on the designated spot on the inside cover, especially if the dealership owner that signed it was a celebrity.
  • Original warranty card.
  • Original license plate frame from the selling dealership, the real metal type. Especially the actual frame that came on the car not one bought on ebay.
  • The original license plates for the car, that have been on the car it's whole life.
  • Pictures of the car back in the day with it's original owner.
I think all those things will:
  • Help the value to varying degrees depending on the buyer.
  • Help make the car the one chosen to buy over another without some or all of them.
  • Do things like help prove that the car really is a GT and not a clone.
Marti reports are cool but don't have prices on them, I've have a couple for the '67 & '68 in the family. But you can't get them for the earlier years so I feel lucky that we have the window stickers for both my '65 and our daughter's 66.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I agree that any documentation helps add value. How much can be debated, some don't care though and that's fine, and guys like me love that stuff.
When I bought my 67' it had a 3" binder FULL of receipts, pictures, and registrations all the way to day one. I saw that as a bonus to have the history of the car and it may have helped the seller get a LITTLE more money.

In youR case, having the window sticker and invoice adds a "cool" factor in my opinion.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the original window sticker, owners manual and warranty card for my 71. So, I am saying that that original paperwork will add value, probably like tens of thousands to the value! 🤩🤩

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I think it only makes for a "quicker" sale, all else being correct.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it's a good thing and all of the following can help value.
  • Original window sticker.
  • Original owners manual, especially if signed by the dealer on the designated spot on the inside cover, especially if the dealership owner that signed it was a celebrity.
  • Original warranty card.
  • Original license plate frame from the selling dealership, the real metal type. Especially the actual frame that came on the car not one bought on ebay.
  • The original license plates for the car, that have been on the car it's whole life.
  • Pictures of the car back in the day with it's original owner.
I think all those things will:
  • Help the value to varying degrees depending on the buyer.
  • Help make the car the one chosen to buy over another without some or all of them.
  • Do things like help prove that the car really is a GT and not a clone.
Marti reports are cool but don't have prices on them, I've have a couple for the '67 & '68 in the family. But you can't get them for the earlier years so I feel lucky that we have the window stickers for both my '65 and our daughter's 66.

The only old photos I have are when it was found under a pole shed out in the "country". Does a pole shed qualify it as a "barn find" ? LOL

·
Administrator
19,455 Posts
Nice to have, but value, no.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I found the factory build sheet for my car under the carpet. There was also a build sheet for another car under the carpet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
While legit documentation is better than no documentation, this car's available provenance really would not likely add value to what appears to be a basic car where original rare factory options are not present. This is not meant to detract from what looks like a nice example of a basic coupe.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
to me it would have some value but not thousands of $$$ worth

when i sold my 94 GT back in 07 I had every maintenance receipt including the bill of sale, window sticker, finance forms and dealer scratch sheets that i got from the original owner.
i didnt tell the buyer when i sold it that i had this.
when he came to pick up the car i gave it to him as a surprise and all proud of myself. on the way out of my driveway he threw it in the trash can

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
Original documentation can add value and desirability but it depends on the value and desirability of the car to begin with.

A fully documented Boss 429 is going to have more value and desirability than an equivalent one without.

That value added on the high end car will be higher than on a low end 6 cylinder coupe.

The value added ranges from $1 to thousands of dollars based on the car.

·
Vendor
3,576 Posts
Value, yes, how much, not a ton (unless it's documenting GT or other desirable options).. But let's face it, even on a 6-cylinder car, if you're both an enthusiast... And also have a heart... You'd love to have that old original stuff to stay with the car, even if you're going to swap drivelines and chassis and whatnot. It's part of what makes antique things compelling..

So if you were buying a little $5K project car, you'd already shook hands on the deal (for the car itself), and then the seller walked out with a file-folder of original docs and papers and receipts, and was being a bit jerk-ish because they wanted extra money for the stuff, you'd probably be more compelled to suck it up, bite your tongue and your lip, and shed a few more hundred to keep all that stuff with the car, than you'd be to just walk away from it and not have it for your own file.

I still have the original sticker for many of my cars, and that piece of paper tends to mean a lot to me, always makes me smile to read one... The reproduction copy doesn't seem to provide the same affect. LOL.. But I'm goofy that way.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Documentation ALWAYS adds value...the amount of value depends on the buyer. Even previous owner maintenance logs add value. I am always willing to pay more for a car if there is a maintenance log that implies it has been well taken care of...and that is just for a modern car....the value only increases the more paperwork you have for a collectible car. That isn't to say it will add much value...but consider for a minute how few vintage mustangs still have the original window stickers available...none I have ever owned have had it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would say yes without a doubt,especially for pre 67,from them we can see it is a SPRINT with the B package--we would not know that otherwise. On the window sticker we can see someone wrote down the dealers invoice cost from Ford --2264.95. Also options prices.
On the bill of sale in the top right a number that might be the stk # m-318
Then we have the numbers from the door tag----in case your door (or tag) is missing--you might want those.
then we have the key codes.
Sure it may mean more to some if it was a different model but i`d be happy getting this stuff no matter what vehicle.

View attachment 739177 View attachment 739178 Car is a 1966 Mustang Sprint 200. I am basically 2nd owner. The car has been wrecked at some time in it's life so it is not 100% original sheet metal. Does having the Ford factory window sticker and the original dealer invoice give me any advantage if I decide to sell? I've had it a little over a year but don't have as much time to mess with it as I had thought. I've got $12K in it. That does include front power disc and new paint though, new bumpers, dash, carpet and other stuff. 116K miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts