Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys go about getting your engines ready for new paint. I just used 2 cans of degreaser and a pressure blaster and the engine still looks like crap. Are there any tips of the trade?

·
Vendor
5,285 Posts
I used many cans of Gunk. Spray it on, leave it for a while, hose it off. Repeat. For really crappy areas I used an old paint brush to rub in the Gunk before hosing off.

I also used many rags to wipe of crud. Many nights of the Gunk and rag combo, I was actually able to paint my engine last week.

Make sure you remove ALL the crap otherwise your new paint will just fall off.

I left the block to dry off for a day or 2, put about 3 coats of paint on, left that for a day or 2 and yesterday finally got everything back together and ran the engine for about an hour.

Looks great! Pictures to come soon...

Thanks

Shaun

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
foamy engine brite works really well if the motor is hot when you spray it on. It will take some paint off though. Have you tried Simple Green and a parts cleaning brush (the ones that are like 1" round)?

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

·
Registered
514 Posts
Try using a variety of brushes, even old tooth brushes. I assume you're talking about in the car, which is a real paint the butt. Have you tried some simple green?

http://216.71.48.244/archive/mikecar.jpg

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally have found that Super Clean does a better job on engines then Simple Green. Just make sure you use it in a well ventilated area. I use it on the industrial equipment I work on every day. It's available at Pep Boys or Walmart. OZ.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Spray-nine works really great. Its all I ever use. Just spray it on and watch all the grease and dirt and other crap just run off. After a while you can hose it off and repeat as many times as you want.

Someone please buy my Ski Doo!
68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker

·
Registered
952 Posts
Steam cleaning is the best.

69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver