Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I've got most of the mechanicals redone on my car but haven't done the transmission yet. I drives well enough but leaks alot when in storage. I'm not a motorhead so I don't really know how it should perform (power, shift points, etc) . I'm going to take it to the trans shop in a couple months, but would kind of like to know what I'm talking about so I don't get unnecessary work done. Can someone knowledgable give me some tips about how to determine what shape it's in and whether it should be rebuilt or something less drastic. My main desire is for reliability. I don't want it to strand me somewhere. Also, I see alot of posts about shift kits. Is there any benefit for a non-hot-rodded daily-driver?
Thanks,
Mike Peyrot
'66 coupe, 289, auto

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
If the car shifts smoothly through all three gears, it probably just needs seals. The most common failure is probably the front seal, where the engine and tranny come together. To replace that seal, the tranny has to be removed from the car, which is where a big part of the expense inlies.

Shift kits change the way the transmission shifts. When Ford built the car, they were trying to achieve shifts that would go unnoticed by the driver. To accomplish that, they made the shifts overlap. By that I mean that during the shift, the transmission will be engaging 1st and 2nd gear at the same time for a short period. Shift kits elimate that overlap. This gives sharper shifts, and can result in longer tranny life.

So it's a personal choice. You can have smooth shifts with a small durability penalty, or you can have sharp shifts with longer life.

Find a tranny shop that you trust, and let them inspect it for you.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/doorsonright.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have looked into a rebuild vs tune up also and my tranny guy said that the shift kit will improve everyday performance on the road. To add the shift kit, fix a leak, and adjust the bands I was quoted about $200.00. A total rebuild with shift kit was $650.00. I think that I am going to save up for the rebuild. After 170,000 miles, it probably could use it, and make it more dependable.The $200.00 is a good bit of the way to the rebuild the way I see it.
just my $0.02
Dan

every man must have a toy
98 Dodge Ram (mobile tool box)
97 Grand Cherokee (family hauler)
66 Coupe 289/c-4 (The Other Woman)

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
A standard rebuild should include new seals (front, rear, gear selector), clutches, steels (between the clutches), new piston seals, front converter bushing, tailshaft bushing, rebuilt converter. Not every overhaul needs new bands or clutches. Beware technicians that say "everything new inside" for extra $.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts