Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm trying to narrow down my drive line issues and wondering if my hydraulic clutch is push on the diaphragm enough to engage the clutch disk. Please check out the youtube video in the link below and let me know your thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czL6xVTTSBk&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

When I turn on the car and push in the clutch, Reverse & 1st go in fine but 2nd grinds. Furthermore, no matter what gear I am in, when I release the clutch nothing happens. I am trying to figure out if I have a transmission issue or clutch issue.

Parts:

New Centerforce clutch
New McLeod flywheel
New Hydraulic Clutch Kit from American Powertrain FORD HYDRAMAX Hydraulic Clutch Actuator System for Ford Toploader with 1-1/16" x 10-spline input (most common).
4 speed toploader - unknown condition, gears look clean, no metal shavings in oil, and can shift though all gears.

Please feel free to ask questions if I am leaving anything out. I will try to respond as soon as I can. I have three kids and job that takes a lot of my time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does this mean?

Are you saying, engine running, car in gear (say 1st) , clutch pedal on floor.
Then you let out the clutch and the car does not move?
Yes, correct. Sorry for the confusion.

Also with axle on jack stands(tires off ground), engine off in any gear, I can rotate the rear wheels. That's not right!?

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
It's got a drive shaft in it correct? How much free travel did you set in the throw out bearing set up?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's got a drive shaft in it correct? How much free travel did you set in the throw out bearing set up?

Haha yes the driveshaft is in and turning when the wheels turn while in gear.

I did set the gap correctly for the throw out bearing. As you can see in the video there is a slight non movement in the fingers when the bearing expands. I believe it was 0.115 gap. Could be a little off.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Haha yes the driveshaft is in and turning when the wheels turn while in gear.

I did set the gap correctly for the throw out bearing. As you can see in the video there is a slight non movement in the fingers when the bearing expands. I believe it was 0.115 gap. Could be a little off.
O had to ask because I've seen it happen. Lol.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Yes, correct. Sorry for the confusion.

Also with axle on jack stands(tires off ground), engine off in any gear, I can rotate the rear wheels. That's not right!?
If you have an open differential (no posi or traction lok) You can spin one wheel forward and the other will turn backwards while the driveshaft does not spin. That's normal.

If you can spin the drive shaft with the engine off and the trans in gear you have a clutch or trans problem

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have an open differential (no posi or traction lok) You can spin one wheel forward and the other will turn backwards while the driveshaft does not spin. That's normal.

If you can spin the drive shaft with the engine off and the trans in gear you have a clutch or trans problem
I can spin the wheels(off the ground), engine off, driveshaft spinning and in gear.

I am going to work on the clutch this weekend and check everything over.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: I figured out what was wrong. First I installed the hydraulic clutch master cylinder upside down so I couldn't clear the air bubble. Second, my toploader still had the old/recalled/smaller 25 spline output shaft that was just spinning freely in the yoke of the driveshaft. Both fixed and now the Mustang runs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts