Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm neck deep in the installation of my trick flow heads when I notice that I have to drill a few holes in the block for some extra water ports on the heads. No big deal right? Well, the first two went smoothly, so I went to grab a drink from the house and let my helper drill the third. I hear a "Oh *[email protected]$#" from outside, so I ran out to check... He had snapped off a drill bit, and it fell into the water jacket of the block!!! Yikes. I thought for sure we were hosed. I called two mechanics and they both said that if the piece was small (it was less than 1/10") that it would just sit in that water pocket and rust and not really move. Wonderful news!!! Especially since one hole later it happened AGAIN!!! These were expensive bits too. At this point I just wanted to finsih the drilling without dropping any more metal pieces in my block, but on the last hole ANOTHER bit snapped off. At least this one didn't drop into the water jacket. So now I have two spanking new trick flow heads, and two small pieces of drill bit floating around in the water jacket (one on each side of the block). Maybe today I can drop some junior mints into my intake...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pull a "Tommy Boy" and drop some M&Ms into it instead. Nothing to worry about, they have a thin candy shell.

·
Registered
471 Posts
yea they melt in your mouth not in your head/block. ::

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can identify with your dilemna! - Sounds exactly like most of how my projects go - At least you kept your sense of humour.

Your closing line gave me a smile - Thanks!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I have trick flow track heat heads and I didn't have to drill anything. Why di you have to drill for coolant openings? I have no problems with the motor running hot either. Just curious.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The manual that came with the heads said that they needed additional cooling passages or steam pockets would form and cause over heating. I drilled small holes into the water jack of the block at the 2 O'clock position in relation to the upper head bolt holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts