Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm in the same boat as many of us here on this forum. I've done quite a bit of "stuff" to my '66 over the year(s) and probably didn't do the best job of documenting what I've done. With the addition of the Sniper EFI - I'm realizing that that things I've done in the past - specifically ignition/electrical - are inter-related. This Bubbled to the surface last night when I noticed a popped 15A fuse and wondered "what the heck is that fuse tied to". This had me chasing some wires and wishing I had a "guide" to my own car.

This has led to me going back through history and putting together my cars "smart book" or maybe "medical record". Identifying key parts I put on and downloading manuals/installation guides and printing them off and putting them in a binder someplace. I'm developing a case of "while I'm at its" and decided to go and developing a wiring schematic (or at least attempt to) that reflects all the add on's/bolt on's that have found their way onto the car int he past 15 or so years. I probably should have done this earlier but now that I'm older and wiser (questionable) I feel this is necessary. I think this would be helpful when and if I ever sell the car and in cases where I have third party doing any work on it.

I also have a folder of receipts of work done to the car. I'm contemplating adding this to the smart book as well but I find this part scary as the the money spent on the car is probably 10x what I "think" it is. :rolleyes:

So anyway - I'm wondering if your car has a smart book/medical record and what things you may have in it.

Thanks

·
Dimples
3,855 Posts
I don’t have anything that would point to a specific fuse, but I do have a notes document on my phone and in the cloud that identifies what mods are done so if I get carried off by a twister or something, my family will still know what brake pads to ask for at the parts store.

We’re taking more detailed notes for my daughter’s’66 build.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I probably should keep better documentation but I only really document when something is done, mostly for warranty reasons. So if I install a new battery or alternator, I’ll record the date, mileage, brand, and where it was purchased at. If I kept all my receipts I would know doubt develop a drinking habit when adding them all up. Keeping all of the instruction manuals and stuff is a genius idea but it’s a little too late in the game for me to be doing that now, I never thought of that. Despite how poor my memory is, I actually still have a pretty good recollection of everything I’ve done to my car and can tell you pretty much what any wire/part goes to or does. I also keep a “spec” sheet of my car that has all of the part numbers for my cam, heads, rockers, wheels, tires, suspension, steering, etc. so if I ever need to order a replacement I know what the part number is. I even keep track of gasket part numbers because I’ve had my motor apart more than once so those are pretty handy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....... my family will still know what brake pads to ask for at the parts store.
Good call. Need to add my disc break conversion to the smart book. (y)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
All the smarts will die with me and the next owners will be baffled beyond belief wondering "how does this thing run and handle better than any Ive ever driven before!"

·
Just some guy
20,011 Posts
I've had a journal for my '67 in a three ring binder for a while now. About the time I added an overhead console and the roof wiring went from one to the dome light to twenty six different wires it occurred to me that I had better diagram all that stuff. I just about need a second binder now. When I'm working on a particular project I use a spiral notebook scratch pad. A lot of those pages are eventually torn out and added to the binder. It just occurred to me that I ought to start another one for the '69. If I ever had such time to spare I would digitize it all into PDF format.

·
Registered
957 Posts
A picture is worth 1000 words.... I started with the AAW wiring kit and made major changes/additions. I made a complete wiring schematic in AutoCAD. The fuse box has numbered bubbles that correspond to location. Will have an 11X17 copy always in the car in case I need it.

I also have everything purchased categorized in an Excel spreadsheet, a log of all my work, and 10,290 photos to be exact and I am not even done with the car.... Anyone that thinks I am joking about the photos.....I am not.
zSchematic 1.JPG
zSchematic 2.JPG

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Tallguy

That is impressive. I feel so derelict in my duties now. =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts