Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I heard good stuff about Castrol Super Clean so I bought some in a spary bottle at Autozone. I took my Mustang to the car wash and rinsed the engine compartment well before applying. Then I sprayed the Super Clean all over the engine bay. About 20 secs later I grabbed the wand and rinsed. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

The Super Clean ate all the paint off certian items like the water pump, chemically scarred my valve covers and polished intake. It even stained my headers! :: Worst of all some sprayed off the engine compartment onto the pain and left dark spots. When I looked on the back of the container to RE read the instructions it says "dilute 8to1, but use full strength for the engine." What!!!! This stuff can be diluted? Why put it in a spray type of bottle then? Why say full strength for the engine when it does this? ACK! Should I contact Castrol? I'm thinking I should...

Then when I was done I shut the hood and busted my knuckle on the hood pin screw putting it on. I was so peeved I through the hood pin and I had to buy some new ones :p

James

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Yeah, but it's super clean, huh? Sorry about all the problems.

The more I use Simple Green, the more I like Simple Green. I even used it (straight up) on my carb rebuild. Worked great. Non-toxic, leaves paint alone.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
James, sorry to hear that. I'm generally against lawsuits, but it sounds to me that Castrol has some responsibility in this case. I would try contacting them and see what they say. Let us know what their response is. I'm betting that they will refuse to accept any responsibility, but maybe they will surprise me.

·
Administrator
19,304 Posts
I learned the same lesson, not with Castrol but another "purple" cleaner. Washed my Harley with it. Cleaned it great, but it took me better than a week to polish the "stains" off my aluminum. I've been very careful since. I buy Castrol Super Clean by the gallon, I really like it. Just not on certain stuff and nowhere near the motorcycles. Simple Green for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts