Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave up on the installation of my new fuel and brake lines on my 65 2+2 when I creased and cracked the fuel line. I have decided to take the car down to its shell and begin the restoration proper. I am intending to photograph and document the disassembly and store all pieces carefully. What is the proper disassembly sequence? It is tempting to plug the compressor in and just start unbolting everything but I know this route leads to disaster. TIA.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'm not sure there is a best order to disassembly, but here are a few pointers:

1. Photogragh as much stuff as possible before you take it apart! You have no idea how much this can help when you go to put an unfamiliar component back together.

2. Label all parts well. IMHO the best way for small parts would be these new Glad disposable tupperware-like containers. You can see what's im them, and they stack too.

I liked to work on one area at a time, as opposed to taking it all apart at once. For example, you can photogrash your front suspension, disassemble it, refurbish or replace where necessary, then store and know that it's all ready for reassembly. I think that helps you not mix up parts, and the alternating disassembly/refurbishment can break up the chores.

Do it right, or you'll end up doing it over !! Good luck - Dickson

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I thought i was bad buying a new stereo for my car because i had to take the panel off the interior to repair a rear side window. But doing a total restoration because of a fuel line has to be close to a record!

My best advice is proper storage. You need separate boxes for each differnt parts of the car and a bag for ech compnent. So when you finally do try to reassemble the car you will have everything organised. Every wiire, vacume line and hose needs to be labeled. Take lots of pictures.

Your worried about what order to do things in. As long as you write down the dissasembly sequence you can do what cheap auto repair books do "to assemble the ____ reverse above directions.

The hard part for me is to stay organised long term.

·
Registered
916 Posts
In addition to proper storage of the parts in boxes, I would suggest proper storage of the boxes /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif What I mean by that is if you are storing the boxes in your garage for example, I've learned that its easy to just start putting the boxes whereever there is a clear space. Well as time goes on and the garage gets fuller and fuller, soon you can't find the boxes the parts are in! So I would say designate a certain area, or perhaps a storage area once you need a lot of space, so you don't find yourself searching in vain later on down the line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts