Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished the first half of the Shelby drop on my 67 coupe. Took about 3 hours by myself (I did call the wife down a couple times for a spare hand).
I have been putting off doing this for a while simply due to concerns that I’d screw it up, but it is pretty easy.
My buddy machined a template for the holes, it is about 1/2” thick and acted as a guide for the drill bit so one pass and done.
I spent more time messing with my old clamp style doing compressors last night before I decided to get new ones.
Front end is about 1/2” lower.

·
Premium Member
6,207 Posts
My buddy machined a template for the holes, it is about 3/8” thick and acted as a guide for the drill bit so one pass and done.
Front end is about 1/2” lower.
Although having a template is nice, some will say you really don't need one if you can measure, punch, and drill. "About 1/2 inch lower" mathematically calculated turns out to be 5/8" lower, just so you know. One of the most popular upgrades for handing you can do. Add a 1" anti-sway bar, an export brace and maybe a Monte Carlo Bar and you're really cookin'. Don't forget the alignment you'll want will be different than before as well. Good for you doing it!(y):)

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
There is a special satisfaction that comes from doing your own work and knowing your car inside and out. Good job.

THIS ^^^^

·
Registered
959 Posts
Might just be my eyes, but the template looks like the holes are straight up and down, without the 1/8" back offset? There is a right and left template usually marked and just flipping it over.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Might just be my eyes, but the template looks like the holes are straight up and down, without the 1/8" back offset? There is a right and left template usually marked and just flipping it over.
Your eyes are good. The 67-68 doesn’t get moved back just down.
yep, only the 65-66 cars had the point moved back that 1/8". there is no room to move the 67 points back an 1/8" as the control arm shafts are wider than on the 65-66 cars.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
I guess I don't understand what you did, what is being "moved down"?
The upper control arm attaching points to the shock towers.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just picked up my car at the alignment shop, and was pretty impressed During the 5 mile ride home. The steering feel is so much better than it had been. I really wasn’t sure what to expect, but I am super happy with the results...
The car does have an export brace and I had installed a 1” sway bar years ago.
This mod has a great return on investment!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts