Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past saturday I took out my 302 and droped in a rebuilt 351c 2v that I found for 500 bucks. I was expecting things to work from my 302 like brackets, pulleys, accesories! Wrong! What a pain in a** drilling and cutting brackets to make things fit and line up. The only thing I was able to salvage from my 302 was my coil/wires/ and alternator. Geez, I now see why MOST people go the windsor route. The motor is a stock rebuild and was pretty much turnkey. I had to buy headman headers and a malory dual point for it. Tommorow I need to buy plugs. I got all done with the engine tonight, went to go put my old plugs in the new engine, and, yep, the plugs were to big. So I got to go get plugs then try to get the thing started tommorow. I have some questions...

1. Carb.... It has a 2v holley on it right now I want to get rid of. My car is a daily driver, but like most, I want the damn thing to perform when it needs to! I was thinking 750 edelbrock. But from all the VE charts Ive seen, Its too much carb. I dont want bogging, I can't take any more of that! Ive heard edel 600's are jetted way to lean and tuned for economy. It seems like holley 650 is the right choice for my setup, but I read about hard to tune, power valve blowout, and bad milage. But I do see every performane vehicle running one.

Intake.... I wanted a perfomer, but now I found out that the inkake runners are to restricting(small) for even the 2v head. Weiland make a single plain( excelorator>??) , Is that a good street intake? Ive alway heard never to run single plane on the street. I dont want this thing reving past 5500, i probably wont take it to 5000 , im to poor to mess up this engine.

Cam.... I found a comps cam with .50 of 218/218 for 100 bucks. Shouldn't there be more exhaust duration than intake? What cam would you all recommend??

I have a stock c4 and open 3.09 8 inch. I wanna get 400 flyweel horsepower out of this motor. I know I need to uprage the rest but Im working my way back as I get $. Im hoping 400 would be possible with just a cam carb and intake swap. Thanks for the help, and ill get back to you tommorow with a " My car won't fire " thread! thanks, josh

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You cant just assume the brackets will all fit!

I've heard the xcelerator is a good intake. Based on experience, I'd put a holley 600 on it.

I had a single pattern cam in a 2v cleveland and it ran pretty hard. I never use used cams.

You're going to need quite a bit of cam to get 400 horses out of 351 cubes, even as good as cleveland heads are.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
You know that there is even accesory relocation windsors.You'll love the cleveland. I ran a edelbrock performer on a 2v set up and was quite happy. I ran a 650 DP and a 750 vac sec on the motor and liked the 650 much better.I think that a 600 holley would be just about perfect. A 2v head won't pull much above 5000 anyway. A windsor head starts to drop off at about 4000. A single pattern cam on a 2v motor doesn't hurt the intake and exhaust are probably the most balanced of any engine. I have to agree with the last poster on using a used cam. I would personally go with a little more lift say .550 and a little less duration [email protected] Cam manufactures have tech lines for such matters.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting 400 out of a cleveland isn't very hard, but it sounds to me like you gonna be looking closer to about 325-350. Some things you also need to remember about cam selection, you have 3.09 gears and a C4, You stated that it is stock, does that also mean stock torque converter, I hope you put a higher stall in when you had the motor out..... You can go to comp cams or any other manufacturer and see what the specs and requirements are on the cam. I have a straight up in mine, haven't driven the car yet, but I wish #1 I went with roller, and #2 went with a split duration as I hear that clevelands let alone all Fords like this because it will scavenge better. As far as the intake with all else I think that you should go with the Performer 2v/4v, and please do not use an Edelbrock carb, get a Demon 650, or Holley DP 650. Most Holleys have blow out protection on the power valves now, it usually says in the description. Holleys are real easy to tune, Demons a little harder, I wouldn't exactly be thinking about gas mileage, you have to pay somewhere for performance. If you are not looking for 6500-7000 rpm pulls like me, I wouldn't use the X-celerator on what you want to do, the performer should be perfect anywheres up to 5500 and if the ports are a little small, port match it, it's easy and will only take a couple of hours. Make sure you go with a cam that matches you Manifold, also make sure you Valvesprings will handle the cam and what about you rocker/studs, did you have them machined or are you planning on using the stud conversion (I have a set if you are interested). I have the cam/lifters/Heads off the motor.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Yeah, you know, if you buy the right brackets to begin with, you dont have to ruin the old ones.

Most people go 351W cause of the huge aftermarket, but there is a reason that the W was dropped for the higher performance C design until the gas crunch, where they brought back the W design (cause it is easier on gas).

Had the gas crunch not cut the legs out from under the C, it would be the standard today instead of the W. Be happy you have a good motor!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I may have found a 351 boss engine and I would like to drop it in a 1973 mustang stock 302. What would need to be done to get it to fit in and work. ie brackets, ps, alt, ac??? Is it an easy task???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts