Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Explorer 5.0 with GT40P heads complete with all brackets and pulleys. Going into a 64.5 Mustang. Using the serpentine belt system. Fox body bell housing and a V8 T5. Stroker kit in the 5.0 thinking either 331 or 347. Using these heads with a Holley Sniper or MSD EFI. What am I missing in my learning curve for this project?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Think about the clutch setup and headers. Not sure of header fitment issues with the GTP heads...do research before buying. I had a bear finding headers to fit my dart iron eagle heads because of the plug angles.

Go with a 347...I have one in my Cobra replica and love it. I have a bone stock t5 behind it and even though the motor is well over the power ratings the t5 is supposed to handle, it's been fine. I just don't dump the clutch at high revs or run it at the drag strip with sticky tires.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You'll need to find headers that fit the GT40P heads. They're out there, you just have to look. Are you going to run a cable actuated clutch? If so, you need to see if the cable will work with whatever headers you use.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm in the camp that if you're going to spend the money to stroke it, why choke it with heads that really arent that much better than E7's and need special headers too. You can buy Edelbrock E street heads right now for about $1,000 or the original style TFS twisted wedge 170's for around $1200. I'd wager that a stock stroke 302 with a good head/cam combo using AFR or Trick flow 11R's will walk away from a 331/347 with GT40P's.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think about the clutch setup and headers. Not sure of header fitment issues with the GTP heads...do research before buying. I had a bear finding headers to fit my dart iron eagle heads because of the plug angles.

Go with a 347...I have one in my Cobra replica and love it. I have a bone stock t5 behind it and even though the motor is well over the power ratings the t5 is supposed to handle, it's been fine. I just don't dump the clutch at high revs or run it at the drag strip with sticky tires.
I'm in the camp that if you're going to spend the money to stroke it, why choke it with heads that really arent that much better than E7's and need special headers too. You can buy Edelbrock E street heads right now for about $1,000 or the original style TFS twisted wedge 170's for around $1200. I'd wager that a stock stroke 302 with a good head/cam combo using AFR or Trick flow 11R's will walk away from a 331/347 with GT40P's.
Your advice is excellent. Several people with experience that have been there or have first hand knowledge of the potential problems like with exhaust and clutch linkage have convinced me to steer away from the GT40Ps in the 65 coupe. We will warm up a 302, with aluminum heads and stay with a V-belt front end. My daughter wants to run 75 to 80 for several hours on interstates with no worries. Not concerned with hp. above 350 or being race track capable. Fun to drive, reliable with a long life are her goals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts