Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have recently been working a lot. I am a PA working in then Army and I am in a 18 month program to specialize in Emergency Medicine. This past month I have been working 12 hour days 6 days a week plus extra time spent on research project, and didactic training. Anyway the past week has been especially tough and my brain feels like I am in a fog. Needless to say this set me up for mistake waiting to happen.
Yesterday I was doing some work on my car. I have my hood pinned and when I was finished accidentally grabbed up the pins with the tools and tossed them in my garage. When I realized this as I was closing the hood I made a mental note to not to forget the pins. Well my attention got diverted and I forgot.
This morning as I was heading into work at 5:30 am just as I reached 50mph, bam!!!! My hood flew up. I quickly slowed down and pull off to the side of the road. The rear portion of the hood is bent pretty bad. I was able to kind of close my hood and slowly drive home. The hood still functions but will definitely need replacing. I was pretty upset with myself and am still kicking myself but over it.
Anyway, this is a lesson to everyone. Always take your time. When you know something could be a potential unsafe issue take care of it right then and there. I could have been way worse, and I am glad it was just me involved in and early morning empty road instead a busy freeway.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have been in similar situations before. It’s frustrating but the quicker you can move on the better.

I broke my windshield trying to remove it. Really wasn’t surprised as I wasn’t being gentle at all. It was a bummer because glass isn’t cheap but hey now I’ll have a safer updated windshield.

Always try to look on the bright side.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If it makes you feel any better bud, I did nearly the same thing 20 years ago. I was about 21. Hood flew up I slammed brakes. Hood wasn’t bolted on and I was going to a gas station to have a mechanic hold it while I bolted on. Told Myself the front latch would be enough to get me there. I’d just rebuilt my engine gotten it running and was a bit tired. Hood flew off scraped ground on the shiny side after I panicked. Needless to say I drove it with a scuffed but otherwise ok hood for 6 months but sold the car in disgust of the cost to fix!
Didn’t feel like I redeemed myself till this past year rebuilt a nice 68 10x better than that old 67’ I had. It always ate at me! For two decades.
Just get a good used or repro hood, paint match when you can afford it and drive on. These things happen don’t give up 😉

·
Registered
359 Posts
We’ve all been there once or twice, don’t be too hard on yourself. I was working similar hours once, back in the mid 90’s. Driving home I fell asleep and smashed the hell out of my relatively new 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo. I hated myself for quite a while after that.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I did the same thing on my 65 many years ago. I had a leaky radiator, stopped at a gas station to add water. When I was getting on the freeway, the hood flew open because I failed to latch it properly. Not only did I ruin the hood, but the mounting nuts for the driver's side hinges on the fender apron were completely ripped out. To this day I still have the holes there, but they're covered up with oversized washers to help keep the hinges in place. We get in a hurry and don't pay attention to the small stuff. Just be glad you're safe and no one else got hurt in the process.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Was driving an old CUCV early one morning out to the field at Ft Benning. Hood latch broke and hood popped open at about 35 mph. No damage to anything. Tied the hood down with some 550 cord and kept going.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Was driving an old CUCV early one morning out to the field at Ft Benning. Hood latch broke and hood popped open at about 35 mph. No damage to anything. Tied the hood down with some 550 cord and kept going.
that 550 cord is probably still there today. 😊

·
Registered
167 Posts
Meh, we've all been there. I was working on my car all weekend. Took the car out Saturday and heard all kinds of strange banging noises.... Looked in my rearview mirror and saw wrenches bouncing down the road lol.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Once, I was sick and hacked up a big nasty loogie, rolled down my window and spit as hard as I could. Got home and didn't realize there was a frozen loogie on my c-pillar until the next day getting back in the car, finally got it off and it left a scar in my paint. Car has been painted since then. After I got it painted, put on new gorgeous bumpers. Met my brother for birthday lunch and didn't see the concrete pedestal under a much skinnier light pole as I backed out of my spot. That bumper scrape is still there, 20 + years now.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
That happened to me once on my old 67...it tore up the sheet metal on the inner aprons where the hinges mount fairly bad...it never lined up as well again when closed...I would check out that area.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yah, we all feel the pain.
My worst engine hood story was having some steel parts stacked on the air cleaner of a 502ci engine conversion of an old Jag, and slamming the aluminum hood down on the protrusion. They made the flat hood into a teepee.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yah, we all feel the pain.
My worst engine hood story was having some steel parts stacked on the air cleaner of a 502ci engine conversion of an old Jag, and slamming the aluminum hood down on the protrusion. They made the flat hood into a teepee.
I forgot to add... it will happen again, despite one's extra precautions and past experiences! Arrrrgggggghhhhh.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the stories guys. I truly feel honored to be in such good company as all of you and our moments absent mindedness. Lol

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow! That's a bummer! But, could have been much worse - cracked windshield, ripped the hood entirely off the car, accident, etc. A good reminder to never rush a job, and do things when you think of them.

Reminds me of going to look at a Mach 1 with my brother years ago. It was a non-original car with a hopped up 302 and looked like it had had a very rough life. After showing us the car and trying to sell us on how great the engine was, the seller (or one of his buddies who was there) closed the hood and we got in for a test ride... We went a few houses down the block and did a U-turn, then as we were accelerating up the street, the hood flew open, slammed into the roof, and ripped off the hinges, then went right over the car and was sliding in the street behind us as we came to a stop. I jumped out and picked it up and my brother turned the car around and brought it right back to the seller's house. As I ran it back across the street to the seller and his buddies, the seller had the nerve to suggest that we just bought his car because we didn't close the hood. I kindly reminded him that he and his friend were the only ones who opened/closed the hood, and that we were not buying the car, and we left. I'll never forget that one!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Meh, we've all been there. I was working on my car all weekend. Took the car out Saturday and heard all kinds of strange banging noises.... Looked in my rearview mirror and saw wrenches bouncing down the road lol.
I just did this one a couple of weekends ago. I had my tools spread out all over the tailgate of my truck as I was working under the hood of my Mustang. Made a run into town to get a new carburetor base gasket, and found the tailgate open with my tool bag still sitting there, but the majority of the tools that were out were gone. I got lucky and found most of them on the dirt road that leads from our house. When I told my wife about it, she told me "I guess someone is getting new tools for Christmas". I was tempted not to say anything, but I let her know most of them were accounted for.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow! That's a bummer! But, could have been much worse - cracked windshield, ripped the hood entirely off the car, accident, etc. A good reminder to never rush a job, and do things when you think of them.

Reminds me of going to look at a Mach 1 with my brother years ago. It was a non-original car with a hopped up 302 and looked like it had had a very rough life. After showing us the car and trying to sell us on how great the engine was, the seller (or one of his buddies who was there) closed the hood and we got in for a test ride... We went a few houses down the block and did a U-turn, then as we were accelerating up the street, the hood flew open, slammed into the roof, and ripped off the hinges, then went right over the car and was sliding in the street behind us as we came to a stop. I jumped out and picked it up and my brother turned the car around and brought it right back to the seller's house. As I ran it back across the street to the seller and his buddies, the seller had the nerve to suggest that we just bought his car because we didn't close the hood. I kindly reminded him that he and his friend were the only ones who opened/closed the hood, and that we were not buying the car, and we left. I'll never forget that one!
Ouch! I'll bet he won't either. That would be great if he was lurking on this board and see this :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hahaha! I thought of that too! That would be funny! FWIW, this was circa 1983.
Well unless he was really old back then it's always possible :) I think that was the year I started kindergarten. I popped my hood in 2001 or so? And that one had nice paint until that day! Lucky duck who bought it got it for 4k as is and fully driveable. He also got a rebuilt engine with it. About 19 years later I paid 11k for one that was mostly disassembled!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts