Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I made that mistake on my cobra before it was painted (and no hinges on the car). The hood flew up about 10’ over my head and hit the road behind us. Thankfully nobody was behind us. My daughter (around 5 at the time) was in the car with me and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Put the clips back in the pins so you can’t close the hood without taking them off. You won’t forget to put them back in that way.

Or get the pins with the wires. Will be hard to miss them. That’s what I’m using on my mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
About 18 months ago I was fiddling with our 65 Fastback with its nice, pinned, fiberglass hood with built-in 67 Shelby scoop. I was planning on taking the car for a spin and my wife decided she wanted to go along. Well, I got my attention diverted and, yes, about 200 feet down the road and boom! Up came the hood into the windshield. Pulled over and saw I left the hold-down pins out (they were on cables). Rendered the hood unusable as it was ripped apart at the hinge mounting area. Fortunately, I had been smart enough to have the original metal hood painted at the same time the car was painted, just in case the fiberglass cracked from heat or age. The fiberglass hood is now wall art in my shop.

Then there was the time my attention got diverted putting new wheels and tires on my 70 Mach I.....sigh, but that's a story for another thread. :(

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I made that mistake on my cobra before it was painted (and no hinges on the car). The hood flew up about 10’ over my head and hit the road behind us. Thankfully nobody was behind us. My daughter (around 5 at the time) was in the car with me and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Put the clips back in the pins so you can’t close the hood without taking them off. You won’t forget to put them back in that way.

Or get the pins with the wires. Will be hard to miss them. That’s what I’m using on my mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a great idea about putting the clips in the pins. I will definitely start doing that.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts