Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me thank all those on the forum who helped with fixing previous owners screw ups etc. I was hesitant to go with 750 ft/lb springs, I really thought I should go with 620's which are in most cases 550 ft/lb springs. Anyway, I took my 65 FB out today with the 750 springs and upper A-Arm drop now corrected, and I can tell you the ride ,in my opinion, would be acceptable for part time street use for most folks I know, and it is soft enough to be a daily driver for me. The car holds much flatter in a curve etc.
I am running a soft shock. I had a much more harsh ride with soft springs and stiff shocks. I can tell you the ride is not as harsh as my stock 96 Bronco!

·
Registered
21,473 Posts
No offense but I always wondered how much of the spring rate one feels from the unibody flexing instead of the spring itself on 620# and up springs?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense taken, but I think I have body flex under controll, I have the usual montecarlo bar and export brace, along with a 8 point cage, weld in sub frame connectors and shock tower re enforcements. I plan on torque boxes sometime later.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Edit, sorry posted in wrong thread.

Tim

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Something I found through research and a little testing, is that many springs don't have the rate they are labelled as having. When you seee "620" or "720", many times it's referring to the wire diamter, not the actual rate. I bought some 620's from Canadian Mustang several years ago and tested them. They were actually 290 lb/in! My 40 year old original front springs tested higher.
I bought some Maier Racing "720"'s that Maier told me were more like 640 lb/in., and theye tested at 625lb/in. I also tested a set of 440 rated springs for a guy that worked at NPD, and they tested right at 440 lb/in. The moral of the story is not all coil springs are equal. In my case, my 720's with 215/60-15 tires is so stiff there is almost no suspension travel. They are coming off this winter to be replaced by something softer.

·
Registered
21,473 Posts
OK, in your case you've taken care of rigidty of the unibody but for someone who just installs them on an otherwise stock unibody, how much are the towers, ect flexing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts