Vintage Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't get scammed-READ THIS STICKY!

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  patrickstapler 
#1 · (Edited)
People are reporting problems here. A person who just joined the forum like five minutes ago and is sending you a private message about having that special and difficult part you want are generally here to rip you off. If someone messages you, look at their profile. Have they just joined and never participated in the forum with any posts? Best to just report them and then "ignore" them. If enough people report any such a person then they will be banned. It used to be they would just get a warning but there's been entirely too much of this lately.

If someone sends you a PM or replies to your Want Ad saying to email some other person, IT'S A SCAM. IT'S A SCAM. IT'S A SCAM! Report it and they will be banned.

If they want you to use Paypal's "Friends and Family" payment option you will have NO RECOURSE or way to get your money back. This is always the scammers preferred option. Don't use it, just pay the Paypal fee. If they don't want you to do it that way assume you are being scammed.

You can message a moderator if you feel unsure. Many scammers take steps to cover their tracks but some don't and are quite obviously in Nigeria or someplace very much lacking in mustang parts. We can check that at least for you. In the last year more and more are simply originating in the US though.

POSTING A MESSAGE ABOUT THE PERSON IN THE THREAD INSTEAD INSTEAD OF REPORTING THE PROBLEM PERSON ISN'T HELPFUL and clutters up people's ads. Such will be deleted if the original poster wishes. And for God's sake don't quote the scammer/spammer's post with a link in it as you are furthering the evil.

If you are conversing with someone via private messages and then suddenly the messages disappear, that means that person has been sussed out as a scammer and removed from the forum. If you choose to continue communicating with this person via email, you're asking for it. If someone contacts you out of the blue on email and NOT in private messages it could we be anyone who found your email. They can claim they are someone on here selling a part, collect the money off "friends and family" Paypal, vanish, and then you want to blame the person selling the part who has no idea what happened as his part is still for sale. This exact scenario has in fact happened.

After whatever you "wanted" has been found if you will edit the ad or add a post tot hat effect, we will promptly move the thread to the "sold" section which should help keep any more from bothering you. If it was moved too soon or it is problematic in any other way just say. Threads in the "sold" section are no longer monitored though.

This sticky is here because when this happens, some people say "Well why didn't someone tell me?" Well, I told you. I can't force people to read stickies. I tried. By filling the entire page, so you'd have to actually scroll past the warnings to see ads. Someone got a better idea, let me know.

See less See more
#5 ·
Everyone…we have had a recent uptick in members receiving private messages (conversations) using the same MO to try and scam you. If you receive a private message and someone says to contact some other person at some other email address or phone, PLEASE report them to us so we can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.