Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace valve covers from the stock blue ones to the cobra dress up kit type, but I am not mechanically inclined at all. Is this difficult to do, do i need to replace the valve cover gaskets? Thanks and hey we all have to start somewhere.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Yes you should replace the gaskets. They will probably break up when you remove the valve covers anyway.

Be sure to clean down the surface of the heads if there's any of the old gasket left behind.

You can by cork ones for around $10 a set.

Thanks

Shaun

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
You might wish to get new bolts for the valve covers as well. They are probably the originals and might break when torqued. You can get Grade 8 bolts and corresponding lock washers at Yardbirds for cheap. They are flat gold in color and would look good with your new covers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I highly recommend using the new bolts and especially the lock washers. I torqued my old bolts too hard and created a dimple on the lip of the valve cover. I think I was lucky by buying good silicone gaskets or I would be leaking oil right now.

Dave
Reading PA
66 Signal Flare Red Vert
302 2V, 15X7 Cragar SS's with 205/60s

·
Registered
762 Posts
NO laughing in this forum, I promise. Everyone has a different level of mechanical ability, or mechanical interst. I am only moderately knowlegable, but I love to drive and enjoy my car. This is a great forum. No one is a know it all...and even if they do know it all, they don't act like it.

Make sure you clean all the junk of the top of the head before you put the new valve cover on. Also, get some of that sticky stuff that seals gasket to the metal. Lastly, when you have it all ligned up, don't screw too tight, or you'll split the cork, and leak oil all over the place. Go just tight enough to keep them in place without leaking. You'll know....

JJ
69 Fastback 302 2v 3sp. trans.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
No one laughing at you bother.
They save that for my questions.

If at first you don't succeed , find a bigger hammer
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=43600042.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good comments. Be careful not to overtighten the bolts which will break your cast covers.

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Use the black 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue the new gasket only to the valvecover. This will keep it from moving when installed (silicone sealant likes to slide). Use lockwashers and just snug the bolts up, not tight at all! Just snug...you'll be fine.

http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Photos/DCP_0355_178x109.jpg
"If you're under control you're not going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones
http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Frm_Cars.htm

·
Registered
326 Posts
Buy the gaskets with the "o-ring" in them and forget about the sealant altogether. Also, don't let any of the old gasket material fall into the engine.

64 1/2 coupe built around April 30, 1964
was a 260 3-speed becoming a 5.0 5-speed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't have time to laugh at you. Too busy laughing at myself.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
don't use cork gaskets! I have never had good luck with cork. I generally use fel-pro rubber (i think) gaskets and they never leak.

Someone please buy my Ski Doo!
68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker

1 - 11 of 11 Posts