Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to send my 65 out to the body shop for paint.

I only have my good set of wheels & tires (17x7" Cragar Eliminators). Would rather risk the possibility of them getting hit with any over spray while at the shop.

Anyone know off hand what size donut spares off a more modern car will fit over the Wilwood brakes I've got? Longshot that you may know, but I figured someone here must have figured this out. I tried a search and came up empty.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These pics are in the wilwood manuals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I have an 18" donut spare I got off of ebay, otiginally was going to use it on my SHO, but the overall diameter is too small to match for all wheel drive. I think it was out of a '17 Mustang. A Ford dealer had several for sale at the time.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
If you find donuts with the right lug pattern, try bolting them up inside - out and it will give you a TON of room just for rollers.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great idea...didn't even think of that. Going to try to hit the local salvage yard tomorrow to see what I can find.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I pulled one out of a newer Lincoln. Its huge and has a ton of BS, it clears the front steering by a smidge.

·
Premium Member
10,970 Posts
I have a donut out of a late 90's or early 00's that I use in my '65 with Granada front discs and Explorer rear discs. It fits over both of those. I'm pretty sure the Crown Vics and Marquis had a larger donut. There are 2 P-N-P junk yards near me. One of them refuses to sell the donuts and the other one charges $14 out the door for them.

·
Registered
35,117 Posts
Maybe try the spare from a '98+ Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car? One with a T145/80D16 will have a diameter of 25.4". The smaller T125 has a 24.3" diameter. Choose one closest to your size.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
The Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car full size spare from 1998 through 2010 should be a winner for the bolt pattern and a bunch of room. A spare set of rollers is always a good thing to have around.
14367.jpeg

15007.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
950 Posts
Believe it or not, many Hondas share the same bolt pattern. I picked up 3 donut spares out of Honda Odysseys and one Acura TL donut spare.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Holy crap, Batman! My P-N-P charges $14 for a donut spare and if you're lucky you can find one that has never been on the ground. And I got lucky on the one I bought for my '65 Mustang.
Good point. I checked Craig's List and some there. Just need to check the bolt pattern. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts