Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i smashed the end of my middle finger yesterday...spent 4 hours in the emergency room.

i was testing one of my floor stands by holding the base with my left hand and pushing down with my right hand. well it did not hold, and the "y" extension slammed down on the middle finger on my left hand, smashing and cutting off the tip of the finger, and fracturing the bone. the tip was hanging on by a thin piece. they sewed me up, and i'm ok now...i just can't do anything with my left hand for a while....what a doofus!!!

i got to meet several of the people from that new tx show, "houston medical"....very nice people.

i've got to figure out why that floor stand did not hold.

wjj

G

·
Ouch! That smarts!

I suppose, though, that smashing your finger was better than having the car fall on you. What tipped you off that the stand wasn't going to hold in the first place?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Not a good thing to happen with the fishing biting here..on the other hand without you out there I'll catch what you would have!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was getting ready to jack the car up higher, using my new jack pad that i built (4-2x12's, screwed together, with chizeled out holes for the jack wheels)...and i thought i would prep the floor stand at the new height. i had never used the floor stands at their fully extended height, and was a bit cautious.

i adjusted the stand by feel, and did not check to ensure that the release handle was down, in the lock position...it may have been..i just did not check....i'm going to check it later.

wjj

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there's still a tagged redfish out there with my name on it.

wjj

G

·
Just dont use the other hand this time...repeat the same experience...and another trip to the emergency room.

That would grant you the coveted "Doofi" award....

·
4,136 Posts
Owww that really gotta hurt. http://www.plauder-smilies.de/rough/ketten.gif fd

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Ouch, that hurts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I learned a hard lesson a few years ago and I'm still queezy about getting under my car when it's on jack stands. I had a cheap set uner my 65 Tbird and just as I was pulling myself out I heard the groan of twisting metal and instantly the car came crashing down. The wheels were on, thank God, and all I got was the wind knocked out of me.

After looking at how cheap the jack stand was (an old Kmart blue light special) I couldn't believe I ever trusted my life with it. I use ramps, 3ton hydraulic jacks and heavy duty jack stands (as back ups) now. Life is too short to pull the 'Wicked Witch of the East' routine!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts