Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got a rear spoiler for my 70 Mach 1. Didn't want to make any mistakes so I measured the dimensions of the spoiler and the trunk lid over and over to make sure I drilled my holes in the right place. I drilled one hole on each side first to make sure it fit correctly. Put the spoiler up to it and it fit perfitly. Ok, everything going good. Placed the spoiler gasket on the trunk lid and lined it up with the hole that I had already drilled and marked the other hole. Started drilling the other hole and the drill bit went through one layer of metal and then seemed like it hit another layer. Now I'm thinking when I drilled the first holes it didn't feel that way. So I look under the trunk lid and find out I drilled the other hole in the wrong place. Should of been on the bottom side of the first hole not the top side. Now I'm saying some pretty unpleasant words at this time thinking there is going to be a hole that is going to have to be repaired in the trunk lid. So I calm down and go ahead and drill the other hole in the correct place and put the gasket and spoiler on the trunk lid. Thank you, Thank you, the gasket and spoiler pedestal was big enough to cover up the drilled hole. Boy was I relieved. No hole to fix. No real damage, but a doofus on my part. ::

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Sometimes it`s better to be lucky than good ;)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
"I've cut it three times and it's still too short"

Slade

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I think we need a mini-doofus for these types of goofs. Now if it hadn't covered the goofed hole, I'd be suggestion we have a new award ... the doofus maximus award ::

Glad it worked out. I can see myself doing the same thing. I can also imagine how many things would be flying around the garage when I discovered the mistake :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts