Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I made a complete doofus move near the end of the season last year and I'm at a loss for fixing it as the new season approaches. Here is my non-professional description.

Backstory...car wouldn't start after a long sit, battery charge was low so I hooked up the charger...weeeell, I kinda forgot about the charged and cranked it while it was hooked up and fried the solenoid (made a loud clicking noise after). Well after replacing the solenoid, and figuring out that the battery was actually dead and replacing that...I can only get it to start by using a starting switch/gun hooked to the battery/solenoid. (PS...I have an MSD 6AL if that matters)

I get power from the ignition (radio, etc comes on)...and it will shut off the car. But no crank from the ignition when I turn the key. Also, my headlights no longer work. I have the double relay upgrade done and have checked both of those to still be good. When I pull the headlight switch one click, I get parking lights, then nothing on the second click that normally hits the lights. GT driving lights and switch work fine.

Any thoughts would be a huge help! Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Cranking it with the charger hooked up would not harm anything.

It sounds like you've got some shorts.

-Matt

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Grab a voltmeter or a test light and check the start post of the ignition switch with the key turned. There should be power.

If there's power there, then there's a discontinuity between that post and the I post on the solenoid. Follow the wire.

I would guess the headlight problem is unrelated.

Might check places where a bunch of wires run together. Examples: Voltage regulator, alternator harness, firewall plugs. Look for anything burnt or heavily corroded.

Good luck
-Matt

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
For the crank pproblem, did you accidentally swap the two small wires on the solenoid?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
For the crank pproblem, did you accidentally swap the two small wires on the solenoid?
+1. The more I think about it, the more it sounds like you installed your solenoid wrong.

The S terminal is for "Start." Your key has to be plugged onto this terminal to open the solenoid. The I terminal is for "Ignition" and is used to pass a full 12V to your ignition coil while cranking. Being backwards won't hurt anything, but it surely won't work.

As for your headlights, where did you run your constant 12V from for the relays? I ran mine from the solenoid, so I'd look for a ring that I missed and forgot to put back on the post.

-Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts