Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice day here in New Jersey so I figured I'd take the 65 Mustang out on the road for a very short drive. But... it's been idling a bit rough and it pings under hard acceleration so I figure what a good time to put a new set of points, new condenser and time the baby.

Heck, it's only about 20 years since these parts have been replaced (car has sat in my fathers garage since he lost interest in a restoration in the early 80s). Since January I've been slowly replacing/fixing the mechanicals on this beast and today was the day for a nice drive - nothing more.

Well, I haven't been able to advance the timing lately because the vacuum advance tube is right up against the radiator hose. Grr. I figure maybe the dizzy is a tooth off - so as part of my repacement of the points/cond, I decide to pull the dizzy and reseat. That's when the fun started! Got the dizzy out no problem but heard a distinct 'clink' sound. I figure the shaft hung on to the dizzy for a bit and just dropped back down. Well, I was right on both except when I drop the dizzy back in (after manually checking for TDC on #1) I get a bit of resistance when trying to engage the oil pump shaft. I bump of the starter with some pressure on the dizzy and it seems to drop in nicely.

Except upon starting, the OP light is on and the engine sounds like a nightmare of metal tapping sounds. I kill the engine immediately (after about 30 seconds total). Another try at dropping the dizzy and I get the same result (another 30 - 60 seconds of enging running with scary noises.

The oil pump shaft looks like it's down there (from the dizzy hole) but I can't keep the darned thing straight. Something just isn't right so off comes the crossmember, the starter, the idler arm and the oil pan. So much for my Sunday afternoon.

What do I find? The oil pump shaft is just ****ed to the side of the oil pump slot where it's supposed to be sitting. From the bottom I can pop it back into the oil pump but before I put it all back together I'm wondering what damage might have been done to the shaft? Is it possibly bent? Should it be replaced?

GypsyR mentioned something similar but he doesn't say what if any damage was done.

Aaarrgghhh. At least the engine looks VERY clean from the bottom (only about 500 miles on this engine since being rebuilt in 1981).

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Sorry bout the long pics below, but I just posted below you, using these pics, and I thought I'd reply. If in doubt, replace the oil pump shaft. You may be able to check it on a piece of glass for straightness too. Make sure the edges that fit into the pump itself didn't get rounded.

Plus, there should be a stop washer on the shaft to prevent it from lifting out of the pump when you remove the dizzy.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
After getting the engine at TDC point the dizzy at 12 o 'clock. When you crank the engine, it will fall into 1 o'clock or the number 1 cylinder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts