Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to change the oil on my F-250 today. I figured, no problem, I've helped do it a couple of times and I know what I'm doing. I got the drip pan in place, finally managed to budge the plug, and let it drain. The pan capacity in a Powerstroke is 15 quarts so we're talking a lot of oil. So far, so good, and I was quite pleased that I hadn't made a mess....yet.

Then, it was time to loosen the oil filter and remove it. Now the filter on my truck is about 8 inches long, and I have to reach up quite a ways to get to it. I let the oil drip down for a minute and then decided to go ahead and remove it. That's when things went all to heck.

The filter was a lot heavier than I thought it would be and as I was lowering it to the drip pan, I lost control of it. Of course it hit the drip pan and bounced away from me--just far enough so I couldn't reach it. I couldn't get out from under the truck quickly and so I tried to get it to roll back to me. Nope, it rolled the other way, so by the time I got hold of it I had the Exxon Valdez in miniature on the driveway.

Now the last thing my dad said to me as he drove off to his bridge game this morning was "don't get oil on the driveway." So, my first thought was, "I'm dead." Thank goodness for Oil Eater and a good brush. You can hardly see the stain now, I got the new filter on, 15 quarts of fresh oil in my truck, and no leaks, so it wasn't a disastrous doofus, just an embarrassing one. :eek:

Now I'm trying to get all the oil out of my shirt, what a mess! :(

·
Registered
471 Posts
:eek:sometimes if you take oil dry or cat litter its cheaper and put it on the oil spot and grind it in with a twisting motion with your shoes it will take up 90% of it after you sweep it up. As far as your shirt is concerned it's now a work shirt. ::So go ahead and do the TWIST. ::

·
Registered
310 Posts
Engine-Brite.. Spray it on the oil spots let it sit a bit then hose it off.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I hate it when that happens! I, unfortunately, have been known to drop my oil filter on occasion too, usually because it's hot or slippery, but our driveway isn't paved, so it's not too big of a mess!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
The big problem is the oil came out of a diesel engine. I have never had good luck getting the stain from diesel engine oil out of anything, with anything!!!! There is something about that oil when it is changed that is different than regular engine oil. The shirt is done, and the stain in the driveway will be there for a very long time, I still have a couple from my diesel.

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, it's a very stubborn stain. And this was my cleanest work shirt, was being the operative word. :(

At least the driveway cleaned up pretty good. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
next time you changethe oil punch a small hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I'm planning, otherwise there will be a repeat doofus for sure. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts