Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fiddling with both my passenger side and driver side doors and can't seem to get either one quite right at the very front lower edge where the door aligns to the rocker panel. I have the vertical adjustment and the to quarter panel gap set where to I want it to be but can't get the inboard/outboard set. I loosened the bolts that attach the hinge to the door and slid the lower part of the door in toward the car as far as it would go but it didn't go far enough.I took a few pictures to show what my problem is. I thought about grinding down the lower edge of the hinge where it hits the door and stops the door. Anybody know how to fix this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I've been fiddling with both my passenger side and driver side doors and can't seem to get either one quite right at the very front lower edge where the door aligns to the rocker panel. I have the vertical adjustment and the to quarter panel gap set where to I want it to be but can't get the inboard/outboard set. I loosened the bolts that attach the hinge to the door and slid the lower part of the door in toward the car as far as it would go but it didn't go far enough.I took a few pictures to show what my problem is. I thought about grinding down the lower edge of the hinge where it hits the door and stops the door. Anybody know how to fix this?
Are they aftermarket doors?

If so, what brand and how to you like the fit (other than the stated issue).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 22GT, I would have gone ahead and already ground the hinges down but I just was thrown off because I had the same problem with the original doors sticking out from the rocker.

The driver's door is a reproduction but I'm not really sure who the manufacturer was. I ordered it from CJ Pony parts when they had their 30% off sale. It fits suprisingly well (aside from sticking out from the rocker which I don't attribute to the door). The contour and body lines matched my dynacorn full quarter well and I was actually pretty happy with it. I still plan on adding some filler rod to make the gap perfect. I have only installed the locking mechanism and door handle so far on the inside so I can't really speak to how the internals fit. I plan on buying another shell for the passenger side to replace the rusted crumbling shell on the car now

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If your original doors were sticking out the same way, you may want to have a collision shop check your door post locations. A front end hit could have caused the cowling area and door posts to move outward. The front end sheetmetal could have been repair properly, but damage in the cowl area may have been overlooked. Are there any ripples in the floor pan? Also, I've seen a weak cowling cause this.

Don

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I guess I should clarify..the original doors fit correctly when I bought the car but since then I have taken them and the hinges off. When I the repop door on and realized it didn't fit I left the hinges on the car and put the original door back on and it fit just like the repop door did! So that makes me think that I did when I put the door on..or maybe this is just wishful thinking :shrug: There aren't any wrinkles in the floor pan though

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that. One less worry, hopefully. Only reason I mentioned it is you never know what may have happened to a 40+ year old vehicle. I've seen cowl areas pushed in far enough that you see shims under the hinge half on the door post to get the door out far enough. Was working on one several years ago, and upon cutting the spot welds holding the floor pan to the right side rocker panel, there was the sound like a gunshot, as the post jumped out about 1/2". After that episode, I always sent them out to the collision shop after the fenders, doors, hood, etc., were removed. That way, if anything is out of whack, it can be pulled before you start the sheetmetal work. Saves a whole lot of time when trying to fit the replacement panels.

Don

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
have you hung the front fender on yet? My repo door did real well againts the quarter after I shimmed the top hinge and had to grind the bottom hinge. This was after knocking the brackets loose inside the door that holds the plate where the hinge bolts go to allow for more adjustment. After installing the front fender the top and bottom of the door were good but the top offset in the door was terrible. My fault i read on here to many times to use dynacorn or golden legion, and i got a Rdot. Everything else i used Rdot was ok. Now it's back in the storage trailer and i guess i'll get the right door this time. I did try it againts the orginial fender which is in good shape and a Ford Tooling fender with the same result, and the orginial door fits good just rusted bad.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
just hung the same r-dot door bought from CJ during the sale. The problem I am having is at the rear of the door. I can't get the door out far enough to be flush with the quarter panel. Like you I have tried to adjust the front hinges but they are at their limmits. My next test will be to mount the factory front fender to make sure all is well up front. Depending on the results I will either work on getting more adjustment on the front hinges or remove the striker and open things up a bit to get some more adjustment out of it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
just hung the same r-dot door bought from CJ during the sale. The problem I am having is at the rear of the door. I can't get the door out far enough to be flush with the quarter panel. Like you I have tried to adjust the front hinges but they are at their limmits. My next test will be to mount the factory front fender to make sure all is well up front. Depending on the results I will either work on getting more adjustment on the front hinges or remove the striker and open things up a bit to get some more adjustment out of it.
Don't do like I done. I knocked the brackets loose inside the door to allow for more movement then had to grind on the lower hinge to get it to align at the quarter. After all that when I put the fender on it was crap. Top and bottom of door was ok but was way off in the middle. No adjustment for that. Those doors are junk. I couldn't return mind of course after I altered it. My next one will be a dynacorn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts