Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please Help Me! I removed my passenger door in-order to replace the pin and bushings on the hinges. I then removed the hinges from the car and cleaned up the area where the hinges attached to the body,thus losing all markings that would tell me how to align the hinges (that is where I went wrong). Last night I tried to reattach my passenger door and I spent 3 hours with no success. Does anyone have a trick or tip on how to reattach a door and its hinges without taking off the front fender and without having alignment marks on the door and body.

My car is a Winter Blue 1969 convertible with black standard interior. It has an original (untouched) 302 2V C4 with ~53,000 miles on it.

1994 F150 Extended Cab 4x4
2000 Taurus

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I've only done it with the fenders off. That makes it pretty easy. You close the door, and tighten the bolts. Would it be worth it to remove the fender, or at least loosen it to allow access to the hinge bolts? I don't know.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Nice car! Got any pics? I'd like to see it. I think my car is Winter Blue, but their isn't a way for me to tell for sure since it isn't the original color. Try my site and see if you can tell. Make sure you look at all pics because the color looks different in different pics. Thanks,

James

BTW, sorry I have no clue what you should do except for trial and error...

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the old forum I was know as 69convertible. On the original forum I was known as 70stang. When we changed to the new forum I could not use 69convertible because it already knew my email address as belonging to 70stang (me). That is why I am using 70stang. I have a picture of my car in the readers rides section listed for 69convertible.

My car is a Winter Blue 1969 convertible with black standard interior. It has an original (untouched) 302 2V C4 with ~53,000 miles on it.

1994 F150 Extended Cab 4x4
2000 Taurus

·
Registered
332 Posts
I went through the exact same process last December, after a full day of making the slightest changes (with about 10-15 times the door coming back off) I got it as best I could but not perfect. It went from there to the body shop and we took the fender off as the only way to really get it done right. The only tricky part in getting the fender off is access to the three screws holding the headlight bucket to it (I guess a vent bucket on a 70), mark the position of the fender along the top of the fender apron so you can get it aligned again when it goes back on - much easier than the door and accept this is the best way to get it done. One other benefit you will get to see the hidden VIN stampings on under th fender - worth while taking a pencil rubbing and a photo for authentication purposes.
Good luck

69 Sportsroof, 351C, 4spd toploader, Restomod BOSS 429 clone - the one and only (?) 1969 BOSS 351

http://home.swbell.net/boss351/mustang/boss1.jpg
http://stangnet.cardomain.com/user/adamg69

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
What you can try is to open your drivers door and measure from the grond to the bootom of the door at both front and back ends of the door. Then you could also measure from the fender to the door, along the door front edge. Then get something that you can rest the passenger side door on so it will be the same hieght , slide it into the hinge area and replace the bolts. Then measure your fender to door distance, tighten and slowly try the door. If it does not close smoothly, get some help. Open the door and have someone hold it in place while you loosen the hinge bolts, just so you can move the door slightly.Close the door so that it fits the way you want it. Then slowly reopen it being careful not to move the hinge location. As soon as you can tighten one bolt do so. Then tighten one at the other hinge as well, try the door again. If it fits tighten it , if not make the minor adjustment it should need now.
Good luck....I did this with the doors on the my 65 Fastback and got great results.
Don

D .G.Cudmore

G

·
0 Posts
Well, it don't help you now but you drill 2 alignment holes thru the hinges into the car and 2 thru the hinges
into the door then use the drill bits in the holes to line it back up. An old body shop trick. Also works on the
hood and trunk.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by tjbatzli on 04/04/01 01:43 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
487 Posts
I understand that there's a special wrench made for this, but I've never seen it.

What I did on my 65? Measured the passenger and mounted the hinge to the car going by those measurements, then mounted door to the hinge. Noticed that the door was sitting approximately 1/8" low in the front, so I took it all apart and adjusted the hinge to body mount by 1/8" and re-mounted the door to the hinge. After fine tuning the hinge to door mount, everything is as it should be.

But next time, I will try to get some help. This is not a single handed job!

Dang! Just when I got used to being "strange", I became a "newbie", then a "tire-kicker". Now I'm a "beginner"?.....hmmmmmm...where do I start?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts