Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting my interior back together. When i took it apart there were really big plastic washers behind all 6 handles. I opened up the stuff i got from mustangs unlimited and there are 4 large plastic washers and 2 big springs. which 2 are supposed to get the springs and which direction should the springs face. Or should i just have 6 washers and the springs not used. The car is a 67 convertible.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The springs are used with the front (door) window cranks, the large diameter base part towards the door, the narrower end towards the door panel. They can be a pain to install and are often left off- at least by myself and my cars previous owners /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
678 Posts
Are you sure the springs small end goes toward the door panel ? I thought the large end went toward the panel, the small end toward the door. Also if you leave them off the handle will sag back, the spring keeps pressure on the window handle to make it stay when the crank is stopped. Makes the appeirance of the handles better when they end up in the same spot.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yeah, I think I had it backwards, your way does seem correct, I would have to check a couple jof original doors I have to confirm this, most of my cars have the deluxe door panels and the spring doesn't really make a difference there.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The small end of the spring goes towards the door, large end to the interior side of the door upholstery panel. Why? Because the spring is to hold pressure on the back side of the door panel to remove any gaps. Were it the other way round, the end of the spring would protrude into the hole in the upholstery panel and be less effective. Note, the original washers were fitted in the center to keep them from slipping around but these lousy reproduction washers are just flat plastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts