Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use these instead of wire covers for wiring in the door? I had never seen them before tonight.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Well, it seems to me everything in the door would stop working when the door is open. Something to think about.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that is what I thought when I was reading it. You use them in the door to make eletrical contact when the door is closed instead of having wires go across the gap.

Click here.

Yeah, I was only thinking about power windows or door locks. It wouldn't door the pony light much good. Just wondering if anyone had used them.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Oh, I get it now.

I think wires in a decent flexible conduit - perhaps from a good wrecking yard raid - are superior. I don't know of any OEM car that doesn't use them, including high-end stuff.

Contacts are kewl and trikky, but have their obvious limitations.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I can think of no decent use for them. A decent door lock system is going to have a minimum of 3 wires to each door lock (so all the locks work together), and if your power window switches are in your door panels (like I have in my '69), there's even more wires running to them. You'd have to fill the door jamb with the contacts, then still have the problem that prairebronze mentioned that nothing works with the door open.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,634 Posts
Open the sliding side door on any 86-97 Aerostar van and you'll see some. Or even a newer Chevy Venture/Astro van. I've toyed with the idea myself but discovered that there are no "flat" mating surfaces to use to mount such things.
I ended up drilling holes and using a pair of rubber "boots" from an 80's F150 instead.
http://a2.cpimg.com/image/3C/1A/9198652-b22a-00800060-.jpg

·
Registered
758 Posts
Open the sliding side door on any 86-97 Aerostar van and you'll see some. Or even a newer Chevy Venture/Astro van.
Or an Odyssey. I have no idea what these are for, but there are about a dozen on each door. The only thing I'm certain of is that one or more of them contains the "door open" circuit, because they occasionally malfunction and make the warning buzzer go off when I put it in Drive. Punching them all in and out of their sockets and wiping them off fixes the problem.

Nothing is disabled when the door is open. Ya got me as to what all those contacts carry...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts