Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a 65 car this weekend that was repainted and the original door tag is in place but looks a little rough. The stamping of the letters are all stamped outward, or a reverse stamping. I see other original tags like it being reversed stamps as well.

I'm hoping to find some place to get a new door tag for it and get it stamped with the correct information but they all show the early cars as a normal stamp with the letters indented in rather than raised. I even see a picture of his early tag reproductions on Kevin Marti's website being stamped inward/indented, so whats correct? and who makes the correct stamped tag?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
The correct stamping is from the back side. Keep your original, no matter what condition it is in.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My original tag has raised letters, which I believe you are referring to as "reverse stamping"

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My original tag has raised letters, which I believe you are referring to as "reverse stamping"

View attachment 751707
Yes this is what I'm referring to as reverse stamping. All the places that offer repos are stamped from the front for early cars. On my 69 I got a new plate from Marti Auto works and its reversed stamped/raised letters but Marti Auto Works shows early cars as being stamped from the front on their sample picture.

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
AG Backeast and Marti do the best stamps, with correct letter font. I have seen some "repros" that were just horribly incorrect.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,102 Posts
I received a reproduction with the raised letters but it was over 10years ago and don't remember where I ordered it from. If I find it I will let you know. I think it looks ok, seems too crisp but looking at the one above maybe its right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts