Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 has the 70 door glass set up which means the glass is bolted in , I have what i think are all the nuts loose that hold the glass in , yet I can't get the glass to slide or move up at the rear part of the door.

What am I missing ? do the bolts actualy go through the glass ?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
On my 70 Torino the answer is yes!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Adjustment for window position is separate from the glass bolts AFAIK.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adjustment for window position is separate from the glass bolts AFAIK.
Well the door was replaced and when they reinstalled the glass it sets to far forward , how do i get to slide back where it belongs ?
I would take it back to them but they are 5 hrs away and it's wintetr up here for quite sometime yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just took my glass out. Yes, the bolts go all the way through. I got it apart and have no idea how I am going to get put back together. I am hoping someone on here has some step by step instructions.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Hopefully a 69/70 Mustang person will jump in. IIRC the 69 vs 70 glass is more than just glue in versus bolt in. the quarter window and weather/divider strip is very different. Possibly details on the door crank mechanisms are different.

Slim

·
Registered
571 Posts
My 69 has the glue in glass, and there is no way to adjust it front to back, only how far it raises in the front and back, and the tilt in and out. I'm not sure what changes when you convert to bolt in glass, I thought it was just changing the glass and he guides the glass rides in.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 69 has the glue in glass, and there is no way to adjust it front to back, only how far it raises in the front and back, and the tilt in and out. I'm not sure what changes when you convert to bolt in glass, I thought it was just changing the glass and he guides the glass rides in.

From what i have gathered , there is really no differance except the glass is bolted , .

·
Registered
571 Posts
From what i have gathered , there is really no differance except the glass is bolted , .
I double checked, and you have to change the regulators and guides. That said, I don't see any way to adjust the glass front and back. With the glue in glass you just have to make sure you have it adjusted properly in the guide before you glue it in. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. You might take it to an auto glass place locally and let them check it out. :shrug:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I will try to give a brief explanation of how the window works. The lift asm works like a scissors. The front arm is attached to a permanant stud, the rear arm has a nylon roller on it that rides inside of a c shaped channel about 7 inches long. There are stops at the front and the rear that linit the travel. The rear can be adjusted without removing the door panel, there are 2, 1/4 bolts in the rear that are about 2 1/2 inches apart. The window should raise evenly without one tilting. 69 lift asm front arm is different than a 70. There is an offset at the point where it mounts to the lift stud. Once you have done this a couple of times you can probably do this in less than 20 minutes.
Of course you will lose quite a bit of skin on your forearms until you get it figured out. You bolt the metal bracket to the glass and then look at the rear of the door, remove the 3 weatherstripping screws and pull the weatherstripping down. slide the window asm into the door from the rear and them position the window and put in the "c" shaped guides and then attach to the lift arms.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well got the info I needed , M M has an article on this very subject and yes the bolts do go through the glass , ( who would have known ) So the glass has to go where the holes line up . My problem is adjustment from front to rear , I thought all I had to do is loosen the bolts and slide the glass back but as V159hill pointed out there is an adjustment for that ( Thank You )
Th MM article is very well done and great pic's . So now I can move on with this issue.
I intend to down load this article for future referance,
P.S I got the info from another site dedicated to owners of Mach 1's

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts