Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered that my upper door hinge is the cause that my door can be moved about a quarter of an inch up and down. When I open the door with closed windows, the top of the window rests against the quarter window weatherstrip. I tried to align the window but had no succes.
Is that 1/4 of an inch to much play for a hinge ? What is the best to do: use a repair kit, or replace with a repro or original hinge ?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
What my previous owner did was took off the hinges, welded 2 nuts onto the inner hinge for extra support, and then drilled the whole hinge out to 3/8. They then replaced the hinge pin with a long high tensile bolt cut off before the thread.

·
Registered
708 Posts
During the restoration of my 66 coupe, I had to deal with the same thing. My door would have quite a bit of play in it. I bought the repair kit and repaired all four hinges. Ever since, there has been hardly any play at all.

I did check that my hinge holes weren't out of round though. If they are, you may need a new hinge.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just bought & installed the repair kits from Mustangs Unlimited. I think they were about 17.95 for each side. The kit includes the proper length pins and bushings (I hear some kits have pins that you have to cut to length), the door check piece of metal, the spring, etc, etc.

They are kind of a pain to change, it takes a couple of hours to get everything done. I had to press a couple of the pins out, while others came out with a mini sledge hammer and a punch. I don't know if I was supposed to, but when I put the pins back in, I put a small amount of lithium grease on them. They came out real nice.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I suggest that you have a torch ready in case of problems removing the pin with the blind hole. Also, Check the fit between the pin and the detent to make sure that you don't get any lateral movement. I used the repair kit and though it is much better than it was, I still have a noticable "creak" due to the "play" between those parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts