Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have this HORRIBLE rattle in my driver door. I pulled it apart to find that i have a broken window "rail". It is easy enough to fix... a few tack welds and its as good as new.

Here is the question. The window still seems to be loose. How much movement should a window have on its rails? mine will move quite a bit. I havent compared it to the other door. I also cannot see where anything is worn. Are there bushings on the "sliders" that run along the rail that can be replaced? we are talking about a 1970 here.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a couple pictures to help explain.

Broken rail at top... no biggie:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcmeyer5/door/DSC00282.JPG

Here is my concern... the fingers that ride on the rails:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcmeyer5/door/DSC00284.JPG

Are those pads I see there replaceable? They look worn enough to loosen the window up.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
They are called door window guide clips. Mustangs Unlimited sells them under part number 91496. They cost $1.50 each and you need 16 to do both doors.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I've got 2 broken posts like yours in my '69 sportsroof. One of them the top part is missing altogether unless it's still in the door somewhere. I was planning to weld mine (at least the one where I have both broken parts) like you're planning.

To answer the "play" question ... I don't know if it's compeletly normal, but both my '69 sportsroof and '69 coupe have all that play just like you described with the door panels off. At least on the coupe, once the door panels are on, the windows rest against the top trim strip (standard interior) and it takes up the play. I assume the sportsroof will be the same, but I've never put the doors together yet since I bought it.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my other door has some play in it too. I think it is normal. I am gonna weld and see what happens.

EDIT... maye I can JB Weld? nah...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts