Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update - I installed these over the weekend. Everything on the car electrical wise works, but these don't seem to. I have LED's behind the dash gauges and incandescent bulbs in the courtesy under dash and glovebox lights. The only way my under dash courtesy lights illuminate is if I turn/rotate the headlight switch knob to full drivers side and click the under dash lights on. Pushing the door jamb switch doesn't turn them off, nor does it turn them on when I open the door. It's like they aren't even installed.

1) should the under dash lights turn on when a door is open even with the key off?
2) could using the LED's in the gauge cluster be affecting the door jamb switch function?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I don't know if this is the right thing to do, and others will chime in if I'm wrong, but if you were to remove the two wires from the door jamb switch and then touch the ends together, shouldn't this complete the circuit and turn on the lights? That's what I would do. If the lights don't come on, then there's a problem with the wiring either going to the switch, or after the switch. You can check the wire coming into the switch with a test light and the door open. If the test light comes on, then power is getting to the switch. It's all a matter of checking and testing.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I would also test the switches just in case(I know they are new, but you never know) simply run a continuity test with a multimeter with one lead in each connection. It should have continuity with the plunger out, no continuity with the plunger in.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Update - Everything works just fine...well, kinda. The brand new switches cut in/out if you rattle them. Looks like I'll need to buy a better quality pair so they work all the time. Dumb...
I've had some of them where the pushbutton broke off and caused the interior lights to stay on. Luckily the two times that happened, I was in the car so I was able to take care of it right away before the lights drained the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts