Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
can't seem to get the phillips head door latch screws to turn to get the latch off pillar the 69 gt. they are not rusted just been on forever i guess. I have even tried a small impact wrench lightly(did not want to dent the pillar) with no success. the phillips head is starting to get boogered up, so i figured i'd stop and post here to see if anyone had any tricks to getting these off. my next recourse is to drill.
thanks for any help,
david

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,378 Posts
The main problem is the screws look like Philips but they are in fact Pozidrive. The combination of both the correct Pozidrive bit and and the hand impact Knapper and Turnall posted already work for me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had this problem with my 69 Fastback. I had no luck with an impact screwdriver as the bodywork panel would flex a bit and it did not seem to work. I also tried a large screwdriver with a spanner on it and it would not come out and even a large screwdriver bit in a small socket and socket extension with a t-bar. I even put penetrating fluid on the reverse side as my interior was stripped out and it did not really make a difference.

What worked for me was to very carefully mig weld a bolt to the head of the screw. I was then able to use a spanner and undo the screws via the welded on bolt. This worked first time for me. The heat from the mig welder might have also contributed to the screw coming undone as I undid it while it was still hot. Obviously the screw is toast and you will need a new one.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
The main problem is the screws look like Philips but they are in fact Pozidrive. The combination of both the correct Pozidrive bit and and the hand impact Knapper and Turnall posted already work for me.
Can't repeat this enough - Pozidrive, not phillips. Use the correct bit with an impact and they'll come right out.

Reactions: kenash

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yup it's a PZ4 and no it is not available at any local store and not the easiest to find online. Even a #4 phillips is very hard to find. I cant find mine.... I got two of the screws out with a #3 phillips easily. The other two I can get the inside plate to spin back and forth but just not enough grip to get the screw to start coming out. My screws once out look like brand new screws with all their galvanizing perfectly intact.

Now if you know of a local commercial door supplier head there because the screws used to mount doors to steel frames are #4 and some use PZ4 screws. They would probably have the driver bit in stock.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I used this in my impact wrench...popped right out and mine were a bit rusted.
Can't repeat this enough - Pozidrive, not phillips. Use the correct bit with an impact and they'll come right out.

For you guys harping on pozidrive, thanks, I didn't know that!

Allen

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
Yup it's a PZ4 and no it is not available at any local store and not the easiest to find online. Even a #4 phillips is very hard to find. I cant find mine.... I got two of the screws out with a #3 phillips easily. The other two I can get the inside plate to spin back and forth but just not enough grip to get the screw to start coming out. My screws once out look like brand new screws with all their galvanizing perfectly intact.

Now if you know of a local commercial door supplier head there because the screws used to mount doors to steel frames are #4 and some use PZ4 screws. They would probably have the driver bit in stock.
Just check Amazon and a number of different kits are listed. Not sure why you couldn't find them.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
Hi all,
can't seem to get the phillips head door latch screws to turn to get the latch off pillar the 69 gt. they are not rusted just been on forever i guess. I have even tried a small impact wrench lightly(did not want to dent the pillar) with no success. the phillips head is starting to get boogered up, so i figured i'd stop and post here to see if anyone had any tricks to getting these off. my next recourse is to drill.
thanks for any help,
david

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yup it's a PZ4 and no it is not available at any local store and not the easiest to find online.
It wasn’t even at our big boy industrial tool/hardware joints that usually have most everything. I got my PZ bit set off the truck. He says hardly any of the “kids“ in the biz know what they are these days.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Just check Amazon and a number of different kits are listed. Not sure why you couldn't find them.

Spent some time on Amazon and found lots of kits of 1-3 but not #4 by itself. I have dozens of 1-3 bits. I have a Keter box full of driver bits of every conceivable type in quantities.
I do have somewhere an old Craftsman set of phillips common and PZ that are 1/4" drive. I never really used them because they were chrome plated like sockets and all they do is slip. Not a clue where it is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone
thanks for the answers... Finally got them out. Ordered the first PZ4 from Lowe's, put it on the rachet and pushed and it snapped in half instantly. Brought back to Lowe's and Re- ordered another. This time I heated up first with the torch, they came right out.
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts