Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, were the factory door latch mechanisms plated gold in color (dichromate)? Both of my 67 SanJose original mechanisms show evidence of a gold patina on the back side (the side that was inside the door, opposite the striker plate). Not sure if the exterior surface was also plated or if it was left bare (i.e. what color did the mechanism appear when you opened the door)?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Like cad2 I think. Mine were the same but were just worn enough to need a redo. I kept them because they have the original dates stamped into them, but haven't done the replate yet. For today it's natural with some clear to protect the steel.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by "cad2"?

Seems like if they were plated they would show signs of gold color everywhere, yet I only see faint evidence of the gold color on the back side (the side inside the door).

If one could open the door of a completely original 500 mile 67 car, what color would you see on the latch assembly?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Angela;

You'd most likely see the gold color. They fade and get worn over time, but unless there was a difference between plants I think they started out as gold (which is CAD 2). Charles Turner or Jeff Speegle will know for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts