Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I leave the car if I lock the doors first, then slam the doors shut:

The driver side door will stay locked.

The passenger side door will unlock itself.

Which way is correct? Is it suppose to stay locked or is it suppose to unlock itself as a security measure so you don't lock your keys in you car? What could be the issue?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The door lock knob is supposed to come up if you lock it and close the door. Lock one from inside then use the key to lock the other, or the key to lock both.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Thank you, it looks like the driver side one is wearing out
Happens to the best of us. My car is ten years older than me and I need more new parts than it does...

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Most older farts know this but maybe some younger squirts don't: You should be able to lock both doors from outside without using a key. With the door open put the lock knob down in the lock position, then push in the outside door handle button while closing the door. Voila. Always wondered why Mcqueen didn't do it that way in Bullitt.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You should be able to lock both doors from outside without using a key. With the door open put the lock knob down in the lock position, then push in the outside door handle button while closing the door. Voila. Always wondered why Mcqueen didn't do it that way in Bullitt.
Im not sure this is entirely accurate for at least the 65 and 66 cars. I’ve owned a 65 and 2 66 cars and none of the doors could be locked from outside without a key. 67 and later may be different. This topic has come up before.

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Im not sure this is entirely accurate for at least the 65 and 66 cars. I’ve owned a 65 and 2 66 cars and none of the doors could be locked from outside without a key. 67 and later may be different. This topic has come up before.
Yes it has, and you are correct. 65/66's must use the key. (y)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I had the same problem with the locking procedure in my '66. We get spoiled with the convenience of remote locks on our newer cars, so when I had the alarm installed in my car, I had them wire remote locks. I don't even think about it anymore!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Most older farts know this but maybe some younger squirts don't: You should be able to lock both doors from outside without using a key. With the door open put the lock knob down in the lock position, then push in the outside door handle button while closing the door. Voila. Always wondered why Mcqueen didn't do it that way in Bullitt.
You should listen to 4ocious - this is the way they work (unless something isn't put together correctly)
You don't get to be old being stupid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts