Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing out the door locks so they match the ignition. In the process, I cleaned all the mechanisms so they would work a little smoother. I got it all back together and its not working correctly. I can lock the door with the key from the outside, but when I push the outside button, it unlocks itself. Kinda' defeats the purpose of locking the door if you can unlock it by merely trying the door. Any suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Ya might want to insure the rods are connected to the correct arms on the door latch assembly. That's what it sounds like has happened.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Ponyman66 said:
Ya might want to insure the rods are connected to the correct arms on the door latch assembly. That's what it sounds like has happened.
Ditto.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
With the door closed and locked... when you push on the outside door handle button, does it unlock the door AND open the door? Or just unlock it?

With the door panel removed, lay a flashlight in the bottom of the door pointing to the inside of the latch mechanism. Work the interior/exterior door handle and lock button while keeping an eyeball on the latch mechanism through the door opening. It'll be easy to figure out what's wrong once you understand how the different rods operate the latch mechanism.

Dave

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys I finally got a chance to pull off the driver side door panel again today. Comparing it to the untouched passenger side door, everything appears to be in the correct place. Even took some pictures to get a better look on the computer. Going to work on it again tomorrow. Thanks again.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It is an adjustment concern ,I believe. The rod that connects the outside lock cylinder must not interfere with the inside lock knob and outside release. Be sure the outside release is completely "released" and return to center. With the door panel off and door open,work the latch by using a screw driver to latch/unlatch the mechanism. Then install each rod and make sure that there is clearance after each rod is installed. If one creates a problem,go back and re-check adjustment.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to get back to the car today and Dave was right. All the rods are connected correctly, but after playing with it and watching it work, I figured it out. The outside door handle button is not popping all the way back out. This is causing the lock to not engage fully. If I pull the button out all the way, then everything works great. Feels like the button is scraping or sticking on something. I'll pull it out this week and try to figure it out why. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts